Course registration (lectures, exercises, student seminars and lab courses)
This page describes the usual procedure for physics courses. Please keep in mind that there might be some exceptions, which you will normally find described in the particular course descriptions. Although TUM students may participate in any TUM course/module, you need check the requirements for course registration at other departments.
Course registration in physics
As long as the course description does not differ from this, TUMonline registration for lectures and seminars is not required to participate in a course. Still, registration is recommended for lectures and seminars, due to the following benefits:
- Information on the dates of the course
- By TUMonline course registration, the scheduled dates of the respective course group are included into your personal calendar and you will be notified automatically by e-mail wherever they are changed or cancelled.
- Access to teaching material (if a moodle course exists)
- Access to teching material in moodle is usually regulated by the TUMonline course registration.
- Participation in course evaluation
- E-mail invitations for the course evaluation will be sent to all the students registered in TUMonline.
- Supporting the lecturer's organization
- The lecturer can send e-mails to all registered students. If you register early (before the semester starts) the lecturer might react if there are many registrations.
For lab courses and exercises please check the notes below.
Please consider that course and exam registration are independent from each other. To participate in the examination of a module, exam registration is mandatory in all cases.
In big modules with extensive exercises, registration for the exercise groups is usually done in the first lecture weeks and mainly aims for an equal distribution of students on the groups. The procedures are usually explained in the first lectures. It might be that the lecturer configured limited registrations for the groups – for questions on the exercise registration, please contact the lecturer or responsible teaching assistant.
Registration to exercises of small special courses is usually done in the same way as for the lecture.
Physics lab courses
To participate in the physics lab courses, registration via the respective lab course webpage is mandatory. Through the registration you will normally be distributed on lab teams. Please attend also to the corresponding introductory lecture.