This website is no longer updated.

As of 1.10.2022, the Faculty of Physics has been merged into the TUM School of Natural Sciences with the website For more information read Conversion of Websites.

de | en

Writing your thesis abroad

A Bachelor's or Master's thesis can be arranged to be (partly) written abroad. You may do so at any research institution, not only at a TUM partner university.

There are in principle two options of combining your final degree project with an stay abroad: you can do the whole project or just part of it at a research institution abroad. Either way, you will need to have a supervisor at our physics department, who will be the first supervisor - officially defining the topic and grading the work at the end (including the colloquium). This person has to be entitled to take examinations in physics. Even if the topic is provided by another scientific member at TUM, one of the examiners has to be professor in our department.

For BEMP/QST: Please pay attention to the specific list of possible supervisors!

In this sense, it is important to note that final degree projects done abroad are equally subjected to the regulations of our department (see the APSO under legal basis). These conditions apply in particular to deadlines, scope of the work, registration, etc. For double degree students exceptions may apply.

Finding a project and a supervisor is an individual process which involves research and negotiation. Typically, there are two ways to find a research project abroad:

  • You look first for a topic at TUM: then, in agreement with your TUM supervisor, you may do part of your research work abroad through an existing collaboration of the group.
  • You look first for a topic abroad: after having found a suitable project and a potential supervisor abroad, you look for a supervisor within our deparment. To do so, you should ideally refer to research group that best fits to choosen topic.

We recommend you to start planning your thesis, including contacting potential supervisors, 9 to 12 months in advance of your intended stay abroad.

Framework of your stay abroad

Depending on your desired destination, there are different posibilities around the formalities of your stay abroad:

  • Visiting student at a university: either at a partner or non-partner institution of TUM, discuss with your potential supervisor abroad which conditions may apply to you (e.g. application dealines, fees).
  • Exchange student at a partner university: you need to have a confirmation of acceptance from your external supervisor before applying for the corresponding exchange program at TUM and you should get in contact with the corresponding program manager at TUM to learn more about special agreements that may apply in each case.
  • Visiting student at a non-universitary research institution.

Funding for your stay abroad

Depending on your chosen framework, there are different funding posibilities for your stay abroad:

  • Visiting student at a university or non-universitary research institution: Erasmus placements for praxis-related final degree projects in Europe or PROMOS (seminar papers and final theses) for stays outside our exchange programs.
  • Exchange student at a partner university: conditions of the corresponding exchange program apply, including funding possibilities.
Top of page