Guided Tours for Students in the FRM II
Neutrons for research, industry and medicine
The Research Neutron Source Heinz-Maier Leibnitz (FRM II) is a central scientific institute of the Technische Universität München (TUM) with approximately 400 staff members in administration, operations and research. Around 30% of the approx. 3000 visitors per year are students. In a year, over 1000 scientists, of these about 200 doctoral candidates, use the experimental possibilities at Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ).
Apart from the tours for general public and students, the FRM II offers special guided tours for physics students, in which their prior knowledge and special interests can be considered, thus allowing a deeper look into this fascinating large-scale research facility on the campus.
Requirements for a visit
The minimum age for a visit is 18 years, although for students aged 16 the FRM II can obtain a special authorization. Therefore your date of birth is required for the registration.
You should register with the address indicated in your identity card or passport.
Important access rules
- Valid identity card or passport (non-EU citizens need a passport, the "Aufenthaltstitel"/residence title or a driving license are not sufficient!)
- No access to the control zone for pregnant and nursing women
- No cameras or mobile phones
- The controlled areas may not be accessed with walking aids
In WS 2019/20 the following dates are available.
- Friday, 2019-10-25 10:15 – registration deadline Thu, 2019-10-17, 12:00
- Thursday, 2019-11-14 14:00 – registration deadline Thu, 2019-11-07, 12:00
- Wednesday, 2019-12-04 10:15 – registration deadline Wed, 2019-11-27, 12:00
- Wednesday, 2020-01-22 14:00 – registration deadline Wed, 2020-01-15, 12:00
The registration is open until one week before the date regularly using the registration page. Apart from the data mentioned above we ask for your study program and (if selected) your area of concentration and your favoured language of the tour guide. This makes it possible for the visitor service to specificalöly select a suitable guide.
We would like to inform you that, due to operatinal reasons, your appointment may be postponed or cancelled at short notice.
To avoid unnecessary waiting time, please read the Visitor_Instruction beforehand and bring along a signed copy of it to the meeting point at the gate of the FRM II, Lichtenbergstr. 1, on the day of your visit. The visit lasts about 2-2.5 hours.
You can register for the visit or cancel it until one week before the selected date at the latest, thus allowing another person to participate. Otherwise, your spot will be lost. Please keep in mind that you can register only once per semester. In case you are prevented at short notice, we kindly ask you to inform the Visitors Service of the FRM II. (firstname.lastname@example.org, 089 289-14313/-12147).