Many laboratory devices are hard to replace in case of failure. If such a device drops dead we can often offer fast and effective help, no matter if the failures happens in a power supply, a complex data acquisition system or even a X-ray installation.
To increase chances for a successful repair the following information should be provided:
- technical documentation / schematics: if available please attach them!
- operation manual: often vital information is hidden there
- exact description of failure (“does not work anymore” is not sufficient)
- are working parallel units available for comparison?
- if the device origins from a diploma or PhD thesis: are old papers available on that subject?
A repair approach for devices not being supported anymore by its manufacturer (or in case, if the manufacturer is out of business already) is often the only way of getting the device operational again.