This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2011
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2015||SS 2011|
WZ0402 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Elective Modules Natural Sciences in the Master Program Matter to Life
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- protein structure visualization
- secondary structure assignment
- tertiary structure assignment
- quality of protein structure data
- structure databases
- structure comparison
- structural domains
- protein folding
- secondary structure prediction
- ab initio 3D structure prediction
- homology modelling
- signal peptides
- intra protein contacts
- structure function relationship
- Understand and reflect in-depth important concepts of structural bioinformatics (protein structure visualization, secondary structure assignment, tertiary structure assignment, quality of protein structure data, structure databases, structure comparison, structural domains, signal peptides, intra protein contacts, structure function relationship
- practically apply selected methods of structural bioinformatics (e.g. structure databases, structure comparison, protein folding, secondary structure prediction, ab initio 3D structure prediction, homology modelling, threading), and lecture these in form of a presentation to an audience
- be responsive to questions and discussion points regarding their presentation
- take part in a discussion regarding a presentation
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Structural Bioinformatics (Lecture and Exercise)||Frischmann, D. Parr, M.||
Mon, 16:30–18:00, virtuell
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Understanding Bioinformatics, M. Zvelebil and J.O.Baum, Garland Science 2008
Description of exams and course work
The exercise, which takes place as seminar, is designed to assess to which extent the students can use and understand the methods used for protein structure analysis or prediction, e.g. structure databases, structure comparison, structural domains, protein folding, secondary structure prediction, ab initio 3D structure prediction, homology modelling, threading, signal peptides, intra protein contacts, structure function relationship, and take part in discussions on presentations of other students or answer questions on their presentation. The exercise supervisor gives grades for the presentation and the participation in the ensuing discussion. Each student gives at least a part of the whole presentation, which allows the supervisor to assess the performance of students individually and provide points. The course achievement is accepted if students have held the seminar and obtained at least 50% of the total possible number of points. To take part in the exam, the students have to fulfill the course achievement at least once. To pass the module at least the score 4.0 is required.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.