Patents and Licensing Agreements
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2019/20 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|WS 2019/20||WS 2017/8||WS 2016/7||WS 2015/6||SS 2015||WS 2014/5|
WI001071 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of soft-skill courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Topics covered are:
1) Patents and trade secrets
a) Patent law
- subject-matter under protection and prerequisites
- proceedings before the Patent Office
- legal effects of a patent
- the inventor's right to the patent
- assignment and licensing
- enforcing a patent
- termination of a patent
b) Trade secret law
- economic purposes
- license agreement: basic content
- pitfalls in licensing projects
- antitrust issues
1. understand the basic principles of patent law and trade secret law,
2. grasp the legal framework of business activity
3. analyse legal implications of typical business situations and to identify their options,
4. present the results of their analysis in a written memorandum.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Trade Secrets (WI001217)||Ann, C.||
Mon, 09:45–11:15, 2770
|VO||2||Licensing Agreements (WI000668)||Ann, C.||
singular or moved dates
|VO||2||Patent protection (WI001071)||Ann, C.||
Mon, 13:15–14:45, 1402
Learning and Teaching Methods
Ann/Loschelder/Grosch, Praxishandbuch Know-how-Schutz
Description of exams and course work
Students will also be asked to apply their knowledge to known and fictional cases. This second part demonstrates if students have developed the required legal analytical skills. Students also need to demonstrate their ability to apply their knowledge to fact settings not discussed in the lecture, and to evaluate the legal consequences.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.