This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2017
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2020/1||SS 2020||SS 2017||WS 2016/7|
WI000992 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of soft-skill courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
During the exercise course, students deepen their knowledge on how to program the financial operations of an order book, whether in an auctions setting or in continuous trading. They will learn how to hedge a portfolio while employing financial derivative instrument strategies. They will be able to calculate key financial indicators, such as mark-to-market valuation, build and interpret a price forwards curve, and calculate and interpret key risk measures such as Value-at-Risk and Conditional-Value-at-Risk. Furthermore, they will calculate the marginal cost of electricity generation and its impact on the economics of CO2 emissions trading. Additionally, they will learn how to set up and solve a mathematical optimization problem to decide the best generation mix setup.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Energy Trading (WI000992)||
|UE||2||Energy Trading (Exercise Course) (WI000992)|
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Basic knowledge, theoretical concepts and practical examples will be provided through the lecture
- Controversial discussions and active participation in class are encouraged to deepen understanding of the concepts presented
- In integrated exercises, students will apply their theoretical knowledge to concrete issues and analyze selected case studies
- Students will get insights into practice by an excursion to the trading floor of Stadtwerke München
The exercise course is carried out in a typical exercise resolution manner. Problem sheets are handed out to the students beforehand, they solve them at home before the session, and the sessions are used to solve the problem set.
However, students will be asked to apply the learned content immediately, interactively, through exercises and examples that will allow them to develop a practical understanding of the presented concepts.
Students are expected to come to the exercise courses to better prepare for the examThe exercises are meant to help the students master their understanding of concepts and methods seen in the lecture, and develop their ability to apply them to real world problems, and to implement solutions using a spreadsheet tool.
Students perform these activities in groups of two, to stimulate discussion and reflection, and engage in a positive and informal learning environment.
• Borchert, J.; Schemm, R.; Korth S.: Stromhandel – Institutionen, Marktmodelle, Pricing und Risikomanagement. Schäffer Poeschel 2006.
• Burger, M.; Graeber, B.; Schindlmayr, G.: Managing Energy Risk. Wiley Finance 2008.
• Erdmann, G.; Zweifel, P.: Energieökonomik – Theorie und Anwendungen. Springer, 2nd Edition 2010.
• Fiorenzani, S.; Ravelli, S; Edoli, E.: The Handbook of Energy Trading. John Wiley & Sons 2012.
• Hull, J.C.: Options, Futures and Other Derivatives. Prentice Hall, 8th Edition, 2011.
• James, T.: Energy Markets – Price Risk Management and Trading. Wiley Finance 2008.
• Konstantin, P.: Praxisbuch Energiewirtschaft. Energieumwandlung, -transport und -beschaffung im liberalisierten Markt. Springer, 2nd Edition, 2009.
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Mon, 2023-01-30, 11:30 till 12:30||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-01-23)|