Banking and Risk Management
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2016/7
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||WS 2020/1||WS 2016/7||WS 2011/2|
WI000092 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of soft-skill courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|90 h||30 h||3 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- banking regulation and bank runs
- financial instruments (e.g., futures and options)
- pricing of financial instruments
- risk measures (definitions, applications, calculation)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Banking and Risk Management (WI000092)||Windmüller, S.||
Tue, 15:00–16:30, virtuell
Tue, 15:00–16:30, virtuell
Learning and Teaching Methods
- Basic knowledge, theoretical concepts and practical examples will be provided through the lecture.
- Controversial discussions and active participation in class are encouraged to deepen understanding of the concepts presented.
- In integrated exercises, students will apply their theoretical knowledge to concrete issues and analyze selected case studies.
- Students will get insights into practice via several guest lectures
- Hull, J.C., 2011, Options, Futures and Other Derivatives, Eighth Edition, Essex.
- Further recommended readings are given in the lecture.
Description of exams and course work
The examination is an unsupervised online Moodle-Test.
The exam consists of open questions and calculations. By answering questions in text form, students show that they are able to understand and to explain current issues in banking and risk management (e.g., the role of central banks, calculation and limitations of various risk measures). By performing calculations and elaborating on theoretical considerations, students show that they are able to evaluate prices of futures and options. They show their ability to apply and evaluate various risk measures used in financial institutions. Moreover they show that they are able to analyze their advantages and limitations (e.g., duration, convexity, value at risk).
Students are allowed one two-sided DIN A4 page of notes (i.e., formula gallery).
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Banking and Risk Management|
|Tue, 2021-07-27, 11:30 till 12:30||N1190
||Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen ablegen werden. Please register only if you will take the exam with binding effect even after reading the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams.||till 2021-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2021-07-20)|