Methods of Empirical Social Research
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2016/7
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2020||WS 2016/7|
POL10100 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Catalogue of soft-skill courses
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
* What is political science?
* Measurements, variables, probabilities and distributions
* Causality and causal inference
* Survey, field, and natural experiments
* Analyzing observational data
* Introduction to regression analysis
* Causal process tracing, case selection and other key issues in case study research
* Where data come from - survey research
* Uses and design of survey questionnaires
* Sampling for surveys and field research
* Non-positivist epistemology
Examples are drawn from across the empirical subfields of political science (domestic, comparative, and international relations)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Introduction to Empirical Methods for the Social Sciences||
Wed, 13:15–14:45, 2770
and singular or moved dates
|UE||2||Introduction to Empirical Methods for the Social Sciences||dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Introduction to Empirical Methods for the Social Sciences|
|Tue, 2023-02-21, 10:00 till 12:00||0360
||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-14)|