Didactics of Physics 1 including practical block course
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2018/9 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|WS 2018/9||WS 2011/2|
PH9116 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||80 h||6 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9116 is the Dean of Studies at Physics Department.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Educational objective, legitimation and conception of physics education
- Competence models and standard definitions
- Demonstration of finding and working methods in physics
- Pupils' ideas and typical learning difficulties
- Interest in physics education
- Experiments in physics education (objective, types, didactical potential, devices used in school, safety)
- Handling of media and presentation in physics education
- Tasks of a teacher regarding pedagogical-didactical aspects
- Class observation, job shadowing and own class trying at a vocational secondary school
- Exchange of experiences with the supervising teacher and colleagues
After the successful participation at the module the student is able to:
- apply elementary knowledge about central fields in physics didactics
- develop suitable teaching approaches, concepts and methods
- stimulate interest in physics education
- prepare physics topics for school in an educational objective and pupil orientated manner
- handle devices and educational material commonly used in school
- know the tasks of a school teacher and to estimate the initial situation and the learning difficulties of pupils
- know methods for controlling the learning effects of pupils
- prepare lessons with the help of the supervising teacher
- estimate the strength and weakness of the own teaching and enhance the teaching
PH9101, PH9102, PH9103, PH9104
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Didactics of Physics 1 – Introduction||Wiesner, H.||
Mon, 09:00–17:00, 120
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the lecture the topics are taught and illustrated exemplarily by experiments / simulations. A suitable part of the topics is prepared, presented and discussed by the participants. In the block course at school the participants observe subject teachers during physics class, prepare and try own class under guidance of the supervising teacher. The experiences from this are discussed with the supervising teacher and with other colleagues.
Blackboard- and PowerPoint-Presentations, free-hand experiments, school-type experiments, simulations
- W. Bleichroth, H. Dahncke, W. Jung, W. Kuhn, G. Merzyn, K. Weltner: Fachdidaktik Physik, Köln 1991
- P. Häußler, W. Bünder, R. Duit, W. Gräber, J. Mayer: Naturwissenschaftsdidaktische Forschung: Perspektiven für die Unterrichtspraxis, Kiel 1998
- E. Kircher, R. Girwidz, P. Häußler: Physikdidaktik. Eine Einführung in Theorie und Praxis. Vieweg, Braunschweig/Wiesbaden 2000
- E. Kircher, W. Schneider: Physikdidaktik in der Praxis. Springer, Berlin 2002
- P. Labudde: Alltags-Physik in Schülerversuchen. Planung Durchführung – Auswertung – Lösungen- Unterrichtshinweise, Bonn 1989
- P. Labudde: Erlebniswelt Physik. Beispiele: Planung – Durchführung – Auswertung – Unterrichtsmethodische Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten – Fachdidaktische Zusatzinformationen, Bonn 1993
- H.F. Mikelskis (Hrsg.): Praxishandbuch für die Sekundarstufe I und II, Berlin 2006
- S. Mikelskis-Seifert, T.Rabe (Hrsg.): Physikmethodik, Cornelsen Scriptor, 2007
- H. Muckenfuß: Lernen im sinnstiftenden Kontext. Entwurf einer zeitgemäßen Didaktik des Physikunterrichts, Cornelsen, Berlin 1995
- M. Wagenschein: Verstehen lehren. Genetisch – Sokratisch – Exemplarisch, Weinheim 1991
- J. Willer: Didaktik des Physikunterrichts, Verlag Harri Deutsch, 2003
- H. Wiesner, H. Schecker, M. Hopf: Physikdidaktik kompakt, Aulis Verlag, 2013
Description of exams and course work
During the didactics lecture each participant has to give a presentation (20 to 40 minutes). Possible topics are: physics simulation, phyiscs free-hand experiment, pupil imaginations of physics effects, educational objectives in physics education. It has to be shown that the obtained competences can be applied satisfactorily in given cases/examples.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Subject-didactical teaching practicum in teaching subject|
|Mon, 2020-05-11 till 15:00||till 2020-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2020-05-04)|