Lab Course in Physics for Students of Education
Module version of SS 2011
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2018/9||SS 2011|
PH9112 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level and Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9112 in the version of SS 2011 was the Dean of Studies at Physics Department.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Ten experiments
- The ten experiments are selected so that in total the following physics topics are reflected in a well-balanced manner: mechanics, thermodynamics, electrodynamics, optics, atomic and nuclear physics
- Data analysis according to scientific practice
- Error analysis and error propagation to a calculated final result
After passing the module the student is able to:
- comprehend the procedure of basic physics experiments and apply the technique to unknown experiments of similar complexity
- record measuring results and observations clearly
- write scientific reports of experiments with limited complexity in a self-dependent and comprehensible manner
- master the mathematical methods of error calculation and therefore estimate the significance of the obtained results
- compare experimental data with theoretical predictions
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|PR||4||Basic lab course for students of education||Finley, J. Saß, M.|
Learning and Teaching Methods
Students have to carry out ten experiments in groups of two students with the given instructions. A supervisor is permanently present for assistance. At suitable points of the experimental process the supervisor stimulates short discussions to recapitulate the already completed experimental parts and to think about the overall context of the experiment.
lab experiments: experiment-specific equipment and standard measuring devices of science / engineering
manual und electronic data acquisition
- Manuals to the experiments (online available)
- Standard textbooks for experimental physics
- W. Walcher, Praktikum der Physik, Vieweg+Teubner Verlag
Description of exams and course work
Students have to carry out ten physics-experiments successfully according to the following requirements:
At any of the 10 experiments:
- during an oral introduction interview each participant has to proof a sufficient preparation concerning the physics topic of the experiment.
- the experiment has to be carried out successfully and completely.
At five experiments selected at the beginning of the semester by the supervisor:
- accompanying to the experiment a lab report containing the measurement readings has to be written. After the experiment each group has to write a detailed report containing all calculations and the mathematical treatment of errors. This report has to be handed in at the next lab course date and must be graded by the supervisor with passed. Criteria for the evaluation are the comprehensible description of the experimental procedure, the measurement readings, the correct treatment of measuring errors and the consequential results.
At the remaining five experiments:
- accompanying to the experiment a lab report without the mathematical treatment of errors has to be written successfully.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.