Advanced Physics 2
Module version of SS 2020
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH9106 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9106 in the version of SS 2020 was Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Solid state physics: structural, electronic and optical properties, material classes, cooperative phenomena like magnetism and superconductivity
- nuclear physics: atomic nuclei, mesons, decay processes, fundamental interactions, particle accelerators and detectors
- symmetry of elementary particles, hadrons, ß-decay
- principles in physics and technical realisation of selected experiments in solid state physics, nuclear physics and particle physics
- current advances in physics science
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- comprehend and illustrate the quantum physics aspects of solid state physics
- understand and explain the physics characteristics of material classes and band structures
- understand the optical properties of different solid state matter from a quantum physics view and explain the resulting applications in optics / optoelectronics
- comprehend and explain the electric conductivity of solid state matter depending on temperature
- know specific semiconductor devices, their functional principle and technical importance and illustrate them in a comprehensible manner
- describe magnetic and superconductive properties as cooperative phenomena
- understand and sketch experimental setups which are important for scientific measurements in solid state physics, nuclear and particle physics
- comprehend and describe the structure of the atomic nucleus
- reproduce the different classes of elementary particles and decay processes and decide in which case certain particles / decay processes are relevant
- understand and explain the fundamental interactions and the corresponding energy / length scales
- recognise universal concepts and methods in physics and see independently correlations between different fields in physics
Knowledge in physics at the level of the successful completed bachelor course "vocational education" with school subject "physics"
Advanced Physics 1 (PH9105)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Advanced Physics 2||Simmel, F.||
Fri, 08:00–12:00, virtuell
|UE||2||Exercise to Advanced Physics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Simmel, F.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
In the thematically structured lecture the learning content is presented. With cross references between different topics the universal concepts in physics are shown. In scientific discussions the students are involved to stimulate their analytic-physics intellectual power.
In the Tutorial the learning content is deepened and exercised using problem examples and calculations. Thus the students are able to explain and apply the learned physics knowledge independently.
writing on blackboard, presentations, videos, computer animations, visiting of laboratory
freely available lecture notes
Any standard physics textbook covering the field of nuclear and particle physics.
For concepts of solid state physics: P. Hofmann, Solid State Physics – An Introduction or C. Kittel - Introduction to Solid State Physics
F. Embacher, Mathematische Grundlagen für das Lehramtsstudium Physik
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in an oral exam of about 30 minutes consisting of comprehension questions and short quantitative estimations. The student has to prove that she/he has comprehended the fundamental topics of solid state physics as well as nuclear and particle physics. Especially important is to prove that she/he has realised the correlation between different topics in physics and is able to deal independently with this knowledge and refine her/his own ideas. In an (developing) oral exam this can be proved in the most efficient way.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Advanced Physics 2|
|Mon, 2021-07-12||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Mo, 27.09.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Mon, 2021-09-27. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2021-07-11)|
|Tue, 2021-09-28||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 28.09.2021 und Sa, 23.10.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2021-09-28 and Sat, 2021-10-23. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-09-27|