Advanced Physics 2
Module version of SS 2011
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH9106 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9106 in the version of SS 2011 was Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Solid state physics: structural, electronic and optical properties, material classes, cooperative phenomena like magnetism and superconductivity
- nuclear physics: atomic nuclei, mesons, decay processes, fundamental interactions, particle accelerators and detectors
- symmetry of elementary particles, hadrons, ß-decay
- principles in physics and technical realisation of selected experiments in solid state physics, nuclear physics and particle physics
- current advances in physics science
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- comprehend and illustrate the quantum physics aspects of solid state physics
- understand and explain the physics characteristics of material classes and band structures
- reproduce the optical properties of different solid state matter from a quantum physics view
- comprehend and explain the electric conductivity of solid state matter depending on temperature
- know specific semiconductor devices
- describe magnetic and superconductive properties as cooperative phenomena
- understand and sketch experimental setups which are important for scientific measurements in solid state physics, nuclear and particle physics
- comprehend and describe the structure of the atomic nucleus
- reproduce the different classes of elementary particles and decay processes
- understand and explain the fundamental interactions and the corresponding energy / length scales
Knowledge in physics at the level of the successful completed bachelor course "vocational education" with school subject "physics"
Advanced Physics 1 (PH9105)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||6||Advanced Physics 2||Kienberger, R.||
singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
thematically structured lecture with cross references between different topics to show universal concepts in physics
scientific discussions, participation of students
writing on blackboard, presentations, videos, computer animations, visiting of laboratory
freely available lecture notes
Any standard physics textbook covering the field of nuclear and particle physics.
For concepts of solid state physics: P. Hofmann, Solid State Physics – An Introduction or C. Kittel - Introduction to Solid State Physics
F. Embacher, Mathematische Grundlagen für das Lehramtsstudium Physik
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested either in a written exam consisting of comprehension questions and short arithmetic problems or in an oral exam consisting of comprehension questions and short quantitative estimations. The student has to prove that she/he has comprehended the fundamental topics of solid state physics as well as nuclear and particle physics and that she/he is able to deal with the corresponding physical values.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Advanced Physics 2|
|Mon, 2023-07-17 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor 16.09.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before 2023-Sep-16.||till 2023-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2023-07-16)|
|Mon, 2023-09-18 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen 18.09.2023 und 21.10.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between 2023-Sep-18 and 2023-Oct-21.||till 2023-09-17|