Advanced Physics 1
Module version of WS 2010/1
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2016/7||WS 2010/1|
PH9105 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||90 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9105 in the version of WS 2010/1 was Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Geometrical optics
- physical optics (wave optics): interference and diffraction phenomena
- modern physics: Planck's radiation laws, electron diffraction, fundamentals of quantum mechanics
- atomic physics: hydrogen atom and many-electron atoms, specific spectra, Schrödinger's equation
- molecule physics: binding mechanisms, vibrations
- introduction to solid state physics: binding types, crystals, x-ray diffraction, reciprocal lattice and Brillouin-Zones.
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- comprehend and reproduce the transition from classical physics to quantum physics - historically and factually
- understand and explain the contributions of famous scientists to modern physics
- comprehend the consequences of modern physics to the understanding of physics phenomena and effects observed in the macroscopic world
- understand and explain the physics background of optical instruments and spectrometers
- reproduce and explain the diverse atomic models
- understand the fundamentals of the Schrödinger's equation and apply this equation to basic problems
- extract and sketch relevant experiments to answer problems in modern physics
- describe the consequences of atomic states to bindings in molecules and solid state systems
- reproduce and explain the structure of crystals and the corresponding analysing methods
- comprehend and apply the mathematical fundamentals in modern physics
Knowledge in physics at the level of the successful completed bachelor course "vocational education" with school subject "physics"
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||6||Advanced Physics 1||Ulrich, A.||
Thu, 14:00–18:00, PH II 227
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
thematically structured lecture with cross references between different topics to show universal concepts in physics
scientific discussions, participation of students
writing on blackboard, presentations, videos, computer animations, visiting of laboratory
freely available lecture notes
Any standard physics textbook containing optics, atomic physics and molecule physics.
For concepts of solid state physics: P. Hofmann, Solid State Physics – An Introduction or C. Kittel - Introduction to Solid State Physics
F. Embacher, Mathematische Grundlagen für das Lehramtsstudium Physik
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested either in a written exam consisting of comprehension questions and short arithmetic problems or in an oral exam consisting of comprehension questions and short quantitative estimations. The student has to prove that she/he has comprehended the covered topics of modern physics, that she/he has realised the correlation between different topics and is able to deal quantitatively with the corresponding physical values in a correct manner.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Advanced Physics 1|
|Tue, 2023-03-28||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 22.04.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-04-22.||till 2023-03-27|