Experimental Physics 2 Major (LB-Technik)
Module version of SS 2018
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||WS 2015/6||WS 2010/1|
PH9104 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9104 in the version of SS 2018 was Julia Herzen.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Definition: condensed matter
- structure of solid state matter
- structure of crystals; structure of important families
- reciprocal lattice and diffraction; methods for structure analysis
- lattice vibrations; practical application; surface acoustic wave filter
- microscopic explanation for thermal properties of solid state matter; fundamentals of statistics, distribution functions
- non-harmonic effects in solid state matter; thermal expansion and thermal conduction
- electron gas, metallic bonding, ionic crystal, thermionic emission
- electronic band structure; classification of materials due to their band structures; experimental methods for identifying band structures
- fundamentals of semiconductor physics
- diodes, photonic components, transistors
- atomic nuclei and nuclear models
- nuclear binding; nuclear fission and fusion; radioactive decay
- particles: matter and carrier particles for fundamental forces
- outlook: beyond the standard model
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- have an idea of microscopic structures of important matter families
- know the relevance of real space and reciprocal space methods for structure analysis
- comprehend thermal and electrical transport processes on atomic scala
- comprehend band structure as limit of orbitals of very big molecules at the transition from molecules to solid state matter
- use databases for identifying geometrical and electronic structures
- develop a comprehension of microscopic processes in semiconductor devices
- master the fundamental knowledge of nuclear and particle physics
- realise and apply crosslinks between different topics in physics
PH9101 Fundamentals of experimental physics I
PH9102 Fundamentals of experimental physics II
PH9110 Mathematical Methods of Physics 1
PH9111 Mathematical Methods of Physics 2
PH9103 Experimental Physics 1 Major
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Supplement to Experimental Physics 2 (LB-Technik)||Dietz, H.||
|UE||2||Exercise to Supplement to Experimental Physics 2 (LB-Technik)||
Responsible/Coordination: Dietz, H.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lecture, presentations, videos, demonstration of experiments and databases
visiting of laboratory and excursions
writing on blackboard, presentation
- Halliday, Resnick, Parker: Halliday Physik, Bachelor Edition, Wiley-VCH (Taschenbuch Weinheim 2007; geb. Ausgabe 2009)
- Meschede:Gerthsen Physik, Springer (Berlin 2006)
- Giancoli: Physik, Pearson Education (München 2009)
- Tipler, Mosca et al.: Physik, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag (Heidelberg 2009)
- Demtröder: Experimentalphysik (2 - 4), Springer (Berlin 2008 - 2010)
- Hering, Martin, Stohrer: Physik für Ingenieure, Springer (Berlin 2008)
- Kopitzki, Herzog: Einführung in die Festkörperphysik, Vieweg & Teubner (Wiesbaden 2007)
- Hunklinger: Festkörperphysik, Oldenburg (München 2009)
- Kittel: Einführung in die Festkörperphysik, Oldenburg (München 2005)
- Dobrinski, Krakau, Vogel: Physik für Ingenieure, Vieweg & Teubner (Wiesbaden 2009)
- Müller: Grundlagen der Halbleiter-Elektronik, Springer (Berlin 2008)
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in a written or oral exam.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Experimental Physics 2 Major (LB-Technik)|
|Tue, 2021-09-28, 13:30 till 15:00||till 2021-09-27|