Fundamentals of Experimental Physics II
Module version of SS 2021
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2016||SS 2011|
PH9102 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9102 in the version of SS 2021 was Stephan Paul.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Oscillations and waves:
- harmonic oscillator, oscillator equation, superposition of oscillations, Fourier analysis and synthesis
- harmonic oscillation with friction, forced oscillation, resonance
- waves, reflection of waves, superposition of waves, standing waves, Doppler effect
- wave-particle dualism of light, photons, Huygens principle
- reflection principle, law of refraction (Snellius), total reflectance, critical angle
- dispersion, colours, additive mixture of colour, subtractive mixture of colour, complementary colour
- reflectance phase shift, interference at thin layers, Newton's rings
- interference, single slit, double slit, diffraction grating
- geometrical optics, image construction, magnification with lense, lense equation, microscope
- conservation of electric charge, Coulomb's law, electric field intensity, force lines, electrostatic induction, Gauss theorem
- electric field intensity in the parallel plate capacitor, work in electric fields, electrostatic potential, voltage, capacitance
- current rating, electrical resistance, conductance, Kirchhoff's laws
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- describe phenomena of oscillations and waves, especially the poroperties of the harmonic oscillator
- apply the fundamental laws of geometrical optics and explain the operating mode of basic optical instruments
- comprehend phenomena of luminous colour and properties of light polarisation
- describe the most important phenomena of light interference and light diffraction
- reflect the fundamental terms and laws of electrostatics
- know and apply the laws of electrical current
PH9101: Fundamentals of experimental physics I
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Fundamentals of experimental physics 2||Holleitner, A.||
singular or moved dates
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lecture, presentations, videos, demonstration of experiments
Transparencies are downloadable from the lecture web page
Paul A. Tipler: "Physik"
Spektrum Akademischer Verlag. Heidelberg
Halliday, Resnick, Walker: "Halliday Physik - Bachelor Edition"
P. Dobrinski, G. Krakau, A. Vogel: "Physik für Ingenieure"
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in a written exam.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Fundamentals of Experimental Physics II|
|Mon, 2021-07-26, 14:15 till 15:45||1100
|Beachten Sie die Informationen zur Prüfungsteilnahme während der COVID-19-Pandemie unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information on exams during the COVID-19 pandemic.||till 2021-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2021-07-19)|
|Wed, 2021-10-13, 11:30 till 13:00||Beachten Sie die Informationen zur Prüfungsteilnahme während der COVID-19-Pandemie unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information on exams during the COVID-19 pandemic.||till 2021-09-27 (cancelation of registration till 2021-10-06)|