Fundamentals of Experimental Physics I
Module version of WS 2017/8
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2017/8||WS 2015/6||WS 2010/1|
PH9101 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Physics Modules for Students of Education
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||60 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9101 in the version of WS 2017/8 was Elisa Resconi.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Introduction, units, error in measurement
- coordinate systems, kinematics
- free fall, motion in 3D, circular motion, superposition of motions, Newton's laws, momentum, inertial and gravitational mass
- pendulum, superposition of forces, frictional force, centripetal force, spring force, gravitational force, reference system, pseudo forces
Hydrostatics and hydrodynamics:
- liquids and gases, pressure, Pascal's principle, compression of liquids and gases
- floatation, surface tension, flowing liquids, continuity equation, Bernoulli equation, Torricelli's law
- real liquids, viscosity, pipe flow of a real liquid, Hagen-Poiseuille
- fundamentals, amount of substance, temperature, thermal energy, ideal gas, velocity distribution, Brownian motion, change of state
- first law of thermodynamics, isotherm, adiabatic curve, isochore
- thermal engines, Carnot cycle, efficiency, Stirling engine, heat generation, heat pump, Otto engine
- reversible and irreversible processes, entropy, second law of thermodynamics, temperature zero-point
- real gases, phase diagrams, phase changes
- heat transport, convection, heat transfer, thermic conduction, heat transmission, heat radiation
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- reflect fundamental physical quantities and approaches in classical mechanics
- apply and solve fundamental equations of practical problems in mechanics
- describe the fundamentals of hydrostatics and hydrodynamics
- handle elementary problems quantitatively in mechanics of fluids
- explain the terms of thermodynamics and the laws of thermodynamics
- deal with thermodynamic cycles and thermal engines
- comprehend the properties of real gases and the phenomena of heat transfer
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Fundamentals of Experimental Physics 1||
Assistants: Paizoni, M.
Wed, 15:00–16:30, 1200
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lecture, presentations, videos, demonstration of experiments
Transparencies are downloadable from the lecture web page
- Paul A. Tipler: "Physik", Spektrum Akademischer Verlag. Heidelberg
- Halliday, Resnick, Walker: "Halliday Physik - Bachelor Edition", Wiley-VCH Verlag
- P. Dobrinski, G. Krakau, A. Vogel: "Physik für Ingenieure", Teubner Verlag.
Description of exams and course work
The learning outcome is tested in a written exam.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Fundamentals of Experimental Physics I|
|Mon, 2022-02-28, 11:30 till 13:00||2770
|Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully.||till 2022-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2022-02-21)|
|Thu, 2022-04-14, 11:30 till 13:00||1180
||Bitte beachten Sie die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully.||till 2022-04-03 (cancelation of registration till 2022-04-07)|