This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH9029 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Service Modules for Students of other Disciplines
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||45 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9029 is Peter Böni.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Production of Neutron Beams
- Scattering Theory
- Nuclear Elastic Neutron Scattering: Structure Determination
- Nuclear Inelastic Neutron Scattering: Phonons
- Neutron Scattering from Disordered Systems: Gases, Liquids
After participation in the module the student is able to:
- apply the kinematic theory of elastic neutron scattering
- understand the use of various instruments for neutron scattering
- judge the use of various scattering methods for the determination of the structure of various materials
- analyse x-ray and neutron scattering diffraction data from powder and single crystals
- determine and analyse phonon dispersion curves
- determine and analyse phonon density of states
- understand diffraction data from non-crystalline materials
- Bachelor degree in physics
- suggested: course in solid state physics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Physics with neutrons 1||Leitner, M.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
The learning outcomes of the module will be achieved via frontal lecture, written and verbal lecturing and powerpoint presentations. The lecture will be complemented by a weekly exercise class, where students will solve problems under supervision of a tutor.
- A. Furrer, J. Mesot, T. Strässle: Neutron Scattering in Condensed Matter Physics, World Scientific, London (2009) .
- G. L. Squires: Introduction to the Theory of Thermal Neutron Scattering, Dover Publications, N. Y. (1966).
- S. W. Lovesey, Theory of Neutron Scattering from Condensed Matter I, II, Oxford Science Publ., Oxford (1984).
- A. Furrer: Frontiers in Neutron Scattering, World Scientific, London (1999).
- G. E. Bacon: Neutron Diffraction, Oxford (1962).
- P. A. Egelstaff: Thermal Neutron Scattering, Acad. Press, London (1965).