Experimental Physics for Engineering
Module version of WS 2020/1 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2017/8||WS 2015/6||WS 2012/3|
PH9024 is a semester module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Service Modules for Students of other Disciplines
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||75 h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9024 is Bastian Märkisch.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Fictitious forces
- Rotational systems
- Work, Energy, Power
- Momentum, angular momentum and energy conservation
- Oscillations and waves
Electricity and magnetism
- Electromagnetic waves
- Light as an electromagnetic wave
- Geometrical optics
- Optical imaging
- Wave optics
Quantum mechanical phenomena
- Wave-particle dualismus
- Bohr atomic model
- Quantum mechanical phenomena in solid state physics
- Quantum mechanical phenomena in nuclear physics
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- develop an overview of classical physics and gain first insights into modenr physics
- understand the working methods of physicists, the definitions of the essential physical quantities (forces, potentials, currents, etc.), as well as the fundamental physical laws and their importance in nature and technology
- describe physical processes qualitatively and mathematically quantitatively and apply laws of physics to physical problems
- develop physical foundations for various areas of modern engineering
- Fundamentals of differential and integral calculus
- Fundamentals of vector algebra
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||5||Experimental physics for machine engineering||
Assistants: Marques Pereira, R.
Fri, 10:00–11:00, MW 2001
Thu, 16:00–18:00, MW 2001
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
This module consists of a lecture and an exercise class. In the lecture the definitions of the necessary physical quantities as well as the theoretical foundations of the relevant processes are presented. Through experimental demonstrations and videos the students receive a direct impression and a graphic representation of these processes. Important quantitative relations are derived. The application of physical laws on physical problems are shown in the exercise class through calculations and discussions of specific tasks.
- Lecture with a tablet-PC and a beamer
- Videos and presentation films
- Live demonstration of experiments
- PDF-copies of the lecture accessible on the webpage
- E. Hering & R. Martin: Physik für Ingenieure, Springer, (2004) (available as .pdf in the TUM library)
- J. Wagner und P.A. Tipler: Physik für Wissenschaftler und Ingenieure, Springer, (2014) (available as e-Book in the TUM library)
- C. Thomsen: Physik für Ingenieure für Dummies, Wiley-VCH, (2018)
- P. Müller-Buschbaum: Physik 1 für Maschinenwesen (Skriptum - available as pdf on the Moodle-Portal)
- J. Walker, R. Resnick & D. Halliday: Fundamentals of Physics, John Wiley & Sons, (2013)
- W. Demtröder: Physik 1-4, Springer, (2016-2018)
Description of exams and course work
There will be a written exam of 90 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using calculation problems and comprehension questions (multiple choice).
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Which statement is correct in the case of a damped oscillation? a) In the case of a damped oscillation the frequency decreases with time; b) At the resonance frequency a catastrophy occurs, if the damping is small enough; c) A weakly damped free oscillation has a defined frequency, which is smaller than that of an undamped oscillation; d) In the aperiodic limiting case the system oscillates with the frequency of the undamped oscillation and with an exponentially decreasing amplitude.
- A freight wagon with the mass of m1 = 10 t and the speed of 28,8 km/h collides with a second wagon at rest. Afterwards both of them roll with a speed of v = 7,2 km/h. What is the mass m2 of the second wagon? a) 20 t b) 30 t c) 40 t d) 50 t
In the exam the following learning aids are permitted: hand-written sheet with formulas, double-sided (A4 format)
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
There will be a bonus (one intermediate stepping of "0,3" to the better grade) on passed module exams (4,3 is not upgraded to 4,0). The bonus is applicable to the exam period directly following the lecture period (not to the exam repetition) and subject to the condition that the student passes the mid-term of passing the voluntary test exams during the semester.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Experimental Physics for Engineering|
|Mon, 2021-02-15, 8:00 till 9:30||00.02.001
Interims I: 102
Interims II: 003
Interims II: 004
|Bitte lesen Sie vor der Anmeldung die Hinweise unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/corona-lehre-pruefungen/ - insbesondere, wann Sie nicht zur Prüfung erscheinen dürfen und, was Sie beachten sollten, wenn Sie einer Risikogruppe für einen schweren Verlauf einer COVID-19-Erkrankung angehören. // Please read the information at https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/corona-teaching-exams/ carefully - especially the conditions in which you must not come to the exam and the necessary measures if you belong to a risk group for a severe progression of a COVID-19 case.||till 2021-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2021-02-08)|