Module version of WS 2021/2 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2016/7||SS 2011|
PH9021 is a year module in German language at Bachelor’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Service Modules for Students of other Disciplines
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|270 h||120 h||9 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9021 is Alexander Holleitner.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module provides the basics of experimental physics and is thus part of the basic scientific education in engineering sciences. In combination with Part II, the lecture covers the following chapters:
· Introduction, measurements, coordinate systems, SI system of units.
· Equations of motion.
· Newtonian laws of motion.
· Forces and reference systems.
· Work and energy.
· Dynamics and momentum.
· Deformable bodies.
· Hydrostatics and hydrodynamics.
· Oscillations and waves.
· Geometrical optics and physical optics, light, optical devices.
· Electrostatics, currents, electrodynamics, dc circuits.
· Magnetism, induction, ac circuits, Maxwell equations.
Upon successful participation in the module, students will be able to:
1. know about general principles with regard to methodology and measurements in physics,
2. calculate the movement of point masses,
3. handle the concepts of force, work, energy and momentum,
4. calculate the dynamics of rigid bodies,
5. apply the principles of hydrostatics and hydrodynamics,
6. calculate oscillations and waves,
7. apply the fundamentals of acoustics,
8. apply the fundamentals of geometrical optics and physical optics,
9. know selected optical devices and their function,
10. understand the principles of electrostatics and electrodynamics
11. analyze electrical dc circuits,
12. apply the principles of magnetism,
13. analyze electrical ac circuits,
14. apply the Maxwell equations.
Fundamental knowledge of physics and mathematics (Gymnasium).
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Experimental Physics 1 (MSE)||Dietz, H.||
singular or moved dates
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
· Lecture: ex-cathedra teaching with demonstration experiments
· Tutorial: The lecture material is deepened by means of exercises. There, the solutions of the exercises are prepared and presented, which are to prepare for the written exam. The exercise provides the opportunity for discussion and further explanations on the lecture material.
· Consultation hours: Clarification of further questions on the lecture contents in individual talks with lecturer
· Presentation or black board writing
· Experiments for demonstration purposes (explanations for download)
· Sample videos
· Lecture notes for download
· Exercises (case studies) and solutions for download
Paul A. Tipler, Physik für Wissenschaftler und Ingenieure
Wolfgang Demtröder, Experimentalphysik
Ekbert Hering, Rolf Martin, Martin Stohrer, Physik für Ingenieure
Description of exams and course work
There will be a written exam of 90 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using calculation problems and comprehension questions.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Set up and solve the equation of motion of a point mass under the influence of different forces.
- Calculation of oscillation states.
- Determination of optical imaging.
- Calculation of charge distributions or electrical circuits.
- Determination of magnetic fields.
- Performing an impedance analysis of an electrical ac circuit.
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Physics (MSE)|
|Mon, 2022-08-29, 13:45 till 15:15||Audimax
||till 2022-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2022-08-22)|