Laboratory Course in Biophysics
PH9010 is a semester module in German or English language at Bachelor’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Service Modules for Students of other Disciplines
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|120 h||h||4 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH9010 is Günther Woehlke.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
The practical lab course Biophysics offers experiments covering a wide spectrum of timely subjects and methods in molecular and cellular biophysics.
After the successful participation in the module the student is able to:
- prepare a scientific experiment independently
- set up and perform a complex experiment
- record all important data during measurement
- evaluate the obtained data and write a scientific report
Lecture/excercises Physics I and II for biochemistry students (or equivalent)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|PR||4||Lab Course Biophysics for Students of Biochemistry||Bausch, A. Dietz, H. Lieleg, O. Rief, M. Simmel, F. … (insgesamt 7)||
Wed, 08:00–13:00, PH 3024
and singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
The lab course is carried out in groups of maximum 4 participants. The groups are working self-dependently as far as possible. A supervisor supports the group in case that questions or problems arise.
lab course experiments
data acquisition (manual and / or computer-assisted)
supplemental literature on selected issues
experiment manuals and references denoted in the manual
Description of exams and course work
Altogether 6 credits have to be achieved from the catalogue of advanced lab course experiments. For each successfully completed experiment one credit is recorded (for some experiments two credits are recorded).
For the successful completion of an advanced lab course experiment following parts have to be passed:
- introductory discussion with the experiment supervisor, a preparation for the experiment has to be proved
- experimentation and recording experimental data
- preparation of a written lab report
- concluding oral discussion