Experimental Techniques in Quantum Optics
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH7017 is a semester module in English language at which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Experimental Quantum Science & Technology in M.Sc. Quantum Science & Technology
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|180 h||60 h||6 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH7017 is Monika Aidelsburger.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- Describe how random processes give rise to noise and its spectral features
- Explain open-loop and closed-loop response in frequency space
- Understand stability and instability in feedback loops
- Design simple proportional, integral, and derivative (PID) feedback loops to suppress noise
- Design simple electronic circuits for the amplified detection of light
- Design simple optical setups to control the spatial profile, intensity, phase, and polarization of laser light
- Understand various aspects of stabilization techniques for laser phase and intensity
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Quantum Science and Technology.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2.0||Experimental Techniques in Quantum Optics||Aidelsburger, M.||see LSF at LMU Munich||
|UE||2.0||Übungen Experimental Techniques in Quantum Optics||Aidelsburger, M.||see LSF at LMU Munich||
Learning and Teaching Methods
- P. C. D. Hobbs, Building Electro-Optical Systems: Making it all Work (Wiley)
- P. Horowitz and W. Hill, The Art of Electronics (Cambridge University Press)
- B. E. A. Saleh and M. C. Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics (Wiley)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Derivation of simple relationships relevant for key concepts in the lecture such as the transfer function of a closed loop linear-response system
- Calculation of important quantities from simple expressions such as the poles of a transfer function
- Explanation of the working principle and features of devices introduced in the lecture such as the response of semiconductor photo detectors
- Show how techniques such as laser intensity stabilization can be applied in the laboratory
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Experimental Techniques in Quantum Optics|
|Mon, 2023-02-06 till 23:59||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 25.03.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-03-25.||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-05)|
|Mon, 2023-03-27 till 23:59||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 22.04.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-04-22.||till 2023-03-26|