Quantum Mechanics II
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH7014 is a semester module in English or German language at which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Focus Area Theoretical Quantum Science & Technology in M.Sc. Quantum Science & Technology
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|270 h||120 h||9 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH7014 is Ivo Sachs.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- Has a solid basis to undertake studies in many-body physics, field theory, particle physics, solid-state physics, cold atomic physics, quantum optics etc.
- Is familiar with coupling quantum particles to gauge potentials
- Is able to solve single particle scattering problems
- Understands relativistic quantum mechanics, the difference between positive and negative energy states, and can recognize the Dirac equation as an effective Hamiltonians
- Has a working knowledge of second quantization
No prerequisites in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Quantum Science and Technology. Familiarity with quantum mechanics is assumed, at the level of an introductory course from a Bachelor degree in physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4.0||T_M2: Fortgeschrittene Theoretische Physik (Quantum Mechanics II)||Khaldieh, M. Mukhanov, V. Hell, A. Creswell, J.||see LSF at LMU Munich||
|UE||2.0||Übungen zu T_M2: Fortgeschrittene Theoretische Physik (Quantum Mechanics II)||Mukhanov, V. Khaldieh, M. Creswell, J. Hell, A.||see LSF at LMU Munich||
|UE||2.0||Zentralübungen zu T_M2: Fortgeschrittene Theoretische Physik (Quantum Mechanics II)||Hell, A. Mukhanov, V. Khaldieh, M. Creswell, J.||see LSF at LMU Munich||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Standard textbooks on quantum mechanics, e.g.:
- R. Shankar, Principles of Quantum Mechanics
- G. Baym, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics
- E. Merzbacher, Quantum Mechanics
- J. Sakurai, Quantum Mechanics
- C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu, F. Laloe, Quantum Mechanics Vol 1 and 2
- L. E. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics
- D. J. Griffiths and D. F. Schroeter, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (3rd Ed.)
Description of exams and course work
There will be a written exam of 180 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using conceptual questions and computational tasks.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Find the energy eigenstates for a particle in a 2D plane subject to a perpendicular magnetic field.
- Compute the scattering amplitude for a symmetric square well potential.
- Solve the Dirac equation for a relativistic particle incident on a step potential.
- Solve a tight-binding model such as obtaining the dispersion of graphene.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Quantum Mechanics II|
|Mon, 2023-02-06 till 23:59||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 25.03.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-03-25.||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-05)|
|Mon, 2023-03-27 till 23:59||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 22.04.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-04-22.||till 2023-03-26|