Advanced Topics in the Theory of Scattering Amplitudes
PH2320 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2320 is Lorenzo Tancredi.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This course provides an introduction to advanced methods used to study multiloop scattering amplitudes in Quantum Field Theory. A rough program will be:
- Generalised unitarity for one-loop calculations
- Analytic structure of multiloop Feynman integrals
- Differential equations for multiloop Feynman integrals
- General properties of (Chen) iterated integrals
- Multiple polylogarithms, functional relations and the symbol map
- Modern ideas on Feynman integrals and general complex hyper-surfaces, the elliptic case
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- Understand generalised unitarity for one-loop scattering amplitudes
- Understand the analytic properties of multiloop Feynman integrals
- Use differential equations to evaluate Feyman integrals
- Understand the basis of the theory of special functions for Scattering Amplitudes
A knowledge of Quantum Field Theory, including on-shell methods will be assumed, in particular the spinor helicity formalism and recursion relations at tree level.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Advanced Topics in the Theory of Scattering Amplitudes||Tancredi, L.||
Thu, 08:00–10:00, PH 3344
|UE||1||Exercise to Advanced Topics in the Theory of Scattering Amplitudes||
Responsible/Coordination: Tancredi, L.
|dates in groups|
Learning and Teaching Methods
Blackboard lectures and tutorials
Blackboard lectures, possibly but not necessarily with use of slides to show complicated results
J. Henn and J. Plefka, Scattering Amplitudes in Gauge Theories
R. Ellis, Z. Kunszt, K. Melnikov, G. Zanderighi, One-loop calculations in quantum field theory: from Feynman diagrams to unitarity cuts https://arxiv.org/pdf/1105.4319.pdf
C. Duhr, Mathematical Aspects of Scattering Amplitudes https://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.7538.pdf
T. Gehrmann, E. Remiddi, Differential Equations for two-loop four point functions https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/9912329.pdf
M. Argeri, P. Mastrolia, Feynman Diagrams and Differential Equations https://arxiv.org/pdf/0707.4037.pdf
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Describe the properties of polylogarithms
- Derive and solve differential equations for a simple integral
- Use generalised unitarity to compute a simple amplitude
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Advanced Topics in the Theory of Scattering Amplitudes|
|Mon, 2022-07-25||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 17.09.2022. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2022-09-17.||till 2022-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2022-07-24)|
|Mon, 2022-09-19||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Mo, 19.09.2022 und Sa, 22.10.2022. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Mon, 2022-09-19 and Sat, 2022-10-22.||till 2022-09-18|