Module version of WS 2022/3 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2|
PH2317 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Focus Area Experimental Quantum Science & Technology in M.Sc. Quantum Science & Technology
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2317 is Martin Brandt.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Assistants: Bucher, D.
Thu, 10:00–12:00, ZNN 0.001
|UE||1||Exercise to Quantum Sensing||
Responsible/Coordination: Brandt, M.
Thu, 11:30–13:00, WMI 143
Learning and Teaching Methods
S. Brandt, H. D. Dahmen, The Picture Book of Quantum Mechanics, 4th ed. (Springer, 2012)
M. L. Levitt, Spin Dynamics, 2nd ed. (Wiley, 2008)
C. L. Degen, F. Reinhard, P. Cappellaro, Reviews of Modern Physics 89, 035002 (2017)
J. F. Barry et al., Reviews of Modern Physics 92, 015004 (2020)
V. Braginsky, Quantum Measurement (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1995)
U. Leonhardt, Measuring the Quantum State of Light (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1997)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Describe a quantum mechanical two-level system with the help of a Bloch sphere!
- Derive the Rabi frequency!
- Describe the electronic states of the negatively charged nitrogen-vacancy complex in diamond!
- How would you measure a magnetic field with an NV center?
- What is ac magnetometry and what are its benefits?
- How do you define the sensitivity of a measurement and what kind of typical noise sources do occur?
- Interpret the standard quantum limit!
- Define a squeezed state! Describe their application to quantum sensing!
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Quantum Sensing|
|Mon, 2023-02-06||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 25.03.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-03-25.||till 2023-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2023-02-05)|
|Tue, 2023-03-28||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 22.04.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2023-04-22.||till 2023-03-27|