Module version of SS 2022 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021|
PH2313 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2313 is Christian Back.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Assistants: Aqeel, A.
|UE||1||Exercise to Smart Materials||
Responsible/Coordination: Back, C.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- What are magneto-resistive effects?
- What are functional materials and how are they technologically relevant?
- What combination of properties are involved in the “figure of merit” of these materials?
- How do the physical properties depend on crystallographic direction?
- How does symmetry influence the physical properties of smart materials?
- How are these properties described mathematically?
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.