From Biofluids to Bionic
PH2311 is a semester module in language at which is offered irregularly.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||90 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2311 is Karen Alim.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Flow networks across different forms of life
- Flow networks in application
- Fluid physics of flow in a tube
- Physics of flow in networks
- Transport dynamics
- Supply and congestion dynamics
- Optimal flow networks
- Adaptive flow networks
- Self-organization of flows in networks
- Building optimal flow networks
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- Describe the physics of flows in networks and how they impact life and engineering applications from our vasculature to solar panels.
- Exemplify and discuss strategies which goals flow networks can optimize for and how they can achieve this optimization.
- Explain and compare different mechnisms how transport within flow networks can be controlled.
- Elaborate different application inspired by biofluid problems.
- Explain the prerequisits, causes, mechanisms how networks can self-optimize.
- Use the basic methods of literature retrieval, condense their knowlegde from scientific papers into a presentation and obtain presentation skills.
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||From Biofluids to Bionic||Alim, K.||
Mon, 14:00–16:00, virtuell
|HS||2||Seminar to From Biofluids to Bionic||Alim, K.|
|RE||2||Revision Course to Seminar to From Biofluids to Bionic||
Responsible/Coordination: Alim, K.
Learning and Teaching Methods
This module consists of a lecture and a seminar.
In the thematically structured lecture the theoretical contents are developed and discussed. Relevant experimental results from biology, biophysics and engineering are also presented. Building on that the theoretical models for their description are developed on the blackboard or using a slideshow together with the students. A dialogical structure of the lecture is emphasized to advance the analytic-physics intellectual power of the students and to encourage a critical scrutinization of the chosen approaches.
In the framework of the seminar students have the opportunity to learn under the supervision of a tutor how to retrieve scientific literature, critically read and extract the relevant information from research articles, and condense this information into a presentation understandable to a broad audience. They subsequently present their findings and recieve feedback on their presentation skills.
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Explain how a vasculature could potentially self-organize to be most efficient
- • Discuss how heat transfer in a solar panel is facilitated and which physical parameters are governing it.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to From Biofluids to Bionic|
|Mon, 2021-07-12||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Mo, 27.09.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Mon, 2021-09-27. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2021-07-11)|
|Tue, 2021-09-28||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 28.09.2021 und Sa, 23.10.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2021-09-28 and Sat, 2021-10-23. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-09-27|