Weakly Interacting Particles
PH2303 is a semester module in English language at which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||30 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2303 is Alejandro Ibarra.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- The Fermi Theory of Weak Interactions
- Neutrino masses
- Neutrino oscillations
- Neutrino mass models
- Advanced topics
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- Understand the construction of the Fermi theory of weak interactions
- Calculate the rates of basic processes in the Femi theory
- Understand the difference between Dirac and Majorana neutrino masses
- Understand the mechanism of neutrino flavor oscillations
- Construct simple extensions of the Standard Model leading to non-zero neutrino masses
It is recommendable some knowledge of relativistic quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Weakly Interacting Particles||Ibarra, A.||
Fri, 10:00–12:00, virtuell
Learning and Teaching Methods
- F. Halzen, A. D. Martin. "Quarks & leptons: An introductory course in modern particle physics", Wiley
- W. Greiner, B. Müller. "Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions", Springer
- M. Peskin & D.V. Schroeder, "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" (Taylor & Francis)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Describe the Fermi theory of weak interactions
- Calculate the muon lifetime
- Describe the physics of neutrino oscillations
- Describe some extensions of the Standard Model leading to non-zero neutrino masses
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Weakly Interacting Particles|
|Tue, 2021-03-23||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 23.03.2021 und Sa, 17.04.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2021-03-23 and Sat, 2021-04-17. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-03-22|