Electrons in Low Dimensional Systems
PH2284 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2284 is Francesco Allegretti.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Electrons in Low Dimensional Systems||Allegretti, F.||
Thu, 14:00–16:00, PH II 227
|UE||1||Exercise to Electrons in Low Dimensional Systems||Allegretti, F.||
Thu, 16:00–17:00, PH II 227
Learning and Teaching Methods
The module consists of a lecture and exercise classes. In the thematically structured lecture the learning content is presented. With cross references between different topics the universal concepts in physics are shown. In scientific discussions the students are involved to stimulate their analytic-physics intellectual power.
In the exercise classes the learning content is deepened and practised using problem examples and calculations. Thus the students are able to explain and apply the learned physics knowledge independently.
- Lecture: beamer presentation with slides, board work.
- Tutorials with board work, discussion and problem solving to stimulate the active participation of the students.
- Self-evaluation by means of multiple-choice tests.
- Visits to on-campus laboratories.
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 30 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Describe the energy levels and band structure of a quantum well.
- How can one perform surface band mapping by means of angle-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy?
- What is the Coulomb blockade?
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.