Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2
Module version of SS 2022 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||WS 2017/8|
PH2257 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Focus Area Imaging in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||30 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2257 is Friedrich Simmel.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Fluorescence basics
- Thermal Forces and diffusion in theory and practice
Thermophorese Basics, applications
- Light scattering
Basics of dynamic and static light scattering and instrumentation, data analysis
- Flow cell cytometry
Basics and data analysis
Basics and examples
Upon successful completion of the module, the students
- are able to understand thermal forces and diffusion in biological systems and judge the success of experiments by applying basic equations.
- are able to understand the functioning of light scattering and to scientifically evaluate the obtained data.
- can explain the basics of flow cytometry and can evaluate concrete experimental data.
- are able to understand the functioning of microfluidics in theory and applications
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2||
Assistants: Pirzer, T.
Fri, 11:00–13:00, ZNN 0.001
|UE||2||Exercise to Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Simmel, F.
|dates in groups|
Learning and Teaching Methods
The topics of the lecture are presented by oral, power point and blackboard presentation.
The students should independently work on relevant examples from up-to-date research. These will be discussed scientifically with other examples in the lecture. Here, the students should utilize the learning content of the lecture to analyse and to scientifically evaluate these examples.
In parallel the students should work with text books which can be accompanied by the study of scientific publications.There is also an exercise for the lecture, in which the content is applied practically and theoretically.
Lecture notes, additional literature, the lecture notes are provided through Moodle
- R. Milo, R. Phillips & N. Orme: Cell Biology by the Numbers, Taylor & Francis, (2016)
- P. Tabeling: Introduction to Microfluidics, Oxford University Press, (2011)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- How is light scattering utilized in flow cell cytometry?
- What are typical diffusion times in water?
- Describe how Poiseuille flow works.
- Explain the term "gating".
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2|
|Mon, 2022-09-19||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Mo, 19.09.2022 und Sa, 22.10.2022. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Mon, 2022-09-19 and Sat, 2022-10-22.||till 2022-09-18|