Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2017/8
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||WS 2017/8|
PH2257 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||30 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2257 in the version of WS 2017/8 was Friedrich Simmel.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Thermal Forces and diffusion in theory and practice
Grundlagen, praktische Nutzung, Thermophorese Basics, applications, thermophoresis
- Dynamic light scattering
Basics of light scattering and instrumentation, data analysis
- Flow cell cytometry
Basics and data analysis
- Basics of Bayesian statistics
Upon successful completion of the module, the students
- are able to understand thermal forces and diffusion in biological systems and judge the success of experiments by applying basic equations.
- are able to understand the functioning of light scattering and to scientifically evaluate the obtained data.
- can explain the basics of flow cytometry and can evaluate concrete experimental data.
- can understand the basics of Bayesian statistics and are able to apply it to simple problems.
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2||
Assistants: Pirzer, T.
Fri, 11:00–13:00, ZNN 2.003
Learning and Teaching Methods
The topics of the lecture are presented by oral, power point and blackboard presentation.
The students should independently work on relevant examples from up-to-date research. These will be discussed scientifically with other examples in the lecture. Here, the students should utilize the learning content of the lecture to analyse and to scientifically evaluate these examples.
In parallel the students should work with text books which can be accompanied by the study of scientific publications.
Lecture notes, additional literature, the lecture notes are provided through Moodle
Cell Biology by the Numbers, R. Milo, R. Phillips and N. Orme.
A Primer on Bayesian Interference for Biophysical Systems, Biophysical Journal, Keegan E. Hines.
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- How is light scattering utilized in flow cell cytometry?
- What is native electrophoresis?
- Explain the basic principles of thermophoresis.
- Explain the term "gating".
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Techniques and Data Analysis in Biophysics 2|
|Mon, 2019-07-22||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor So, 22.09.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sun, 2019-09-22.||till 2019-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2019-07-21)|
|Tue, 2019-09-24||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin von Mo, 23.09.2019 bis Sa, 19.10.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date from Mon, 23.09.2019 till Sat, 19.10.2019.||till 2019-09-23|