QCD in Accelerator Experiments
Module version of WS 2021/2 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2017/8|
PH2254 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2254 is Stefan Kluth.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
1) Introduction into the theory of strong interactions
2) Asymptotic freedom and confinement
3) Hadronproduction in e+e- annihilation: introduction
4) Hadronproduction in e+e- annihilation: jets and event shapes
5) Jet fragmentation and simulation
6) Hadronproduction in e+e- annihilation: precision measurements
7) Hadronproduction in ep scattering: introduction
8) Hadronproduction in ep scattering: jets und event shapes
9) Hadronproduction in pp or p anti-p scattering: introduction
10) Hadronproduction in pp or p anti-p scattering: jets, leptons, vector bosons, top quarks
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- understand approaches of the dependence of processes of the strong interaction on the relevant energy scale of the scattering
- understand experimental methods based on the application of QCD
- apply methods for the classification of hadronic final states (jet and Eventshape Algorithms)
- understand methods for determining the coupling constant in QCD
- understand applications of the models for the fragmentation of partons to jets
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||QCD in Accelerator Experiments||Kluth, S.||
Tue, 12:00–14:00, PH II 127
|UE||1||Exercise to QCD in Accelerator Experiments||Kluth, S.|
Learning and Teaching Methods
The module consists of a lecture and exercises.
In the first lectures the basic experimental foundations of the theory of strong interactions are discussed. In this way the students understand, that the theory is well supported experimentally. Through detailed work with these topics we also achieve that the experimental methods for proving a theoretical assumption in particle physics become transparent. The students are encouraged to ask and answer questions, so that the essential topics will be well understood. In the progress of the lectures we will cover modern measurements of particle physics and interpret them with the help of the foundations learned here. In this way the students learn to place recent measurements of particle physics in the context of strong interaction physics.
The problems and excercise hours, which are a place to discuss the problems in detail, deepen the understanding. In particular the problems are given in such a way that they cover important aspects of the lectures and go through details of proofs for which there would otherwise not be enough room in the lectures. In this way the students learn to use and apply the material learned in the lectures.
Lectures as presentations, printed script of the lectures, problem sheets.
A detailed list of literature will be distrbuted with the script of the first lecture.
Description of exams and course work
There will be a written exam of 60 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using calculation problems and comprehension questions.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Show that the observable thrust in e+e- events approches the value 1/2 for spherical events.
- Derivation and approximations of angular ordering in the parton shower
In the exam the following learning aids are permitted: Scipt of the lectures
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to QCD in Accelerator Experiments|
|Mon, 2022-02-07||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 02.04.2022. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2022-04-02. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2022-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2022-02-06)|
|Mon, 2022-04-04||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Mo, 04.04.2022 und Sa, 30.04.2022. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Mon, 2022-04-04 and Sat, 2022-04-30. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2022-04-03|