Supersymmetry and Extra Dimensions
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2019 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2017|
PH2250 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|300 h||60 h||10 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2250 is Patrick Vaudrevange.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This lecture introduces supersymmetric theories in four and more dimensions. The basis of this course lies in the understanding of the supersymmetry algebra and its representations with N=1 or more supersymmetry generators. The following topics are covered:
- mathematical foundation: Grassmann variables
- supersymmetry algebra and its representations: chirale superfields, vector superfields
- superfields and superspace as an extension of fields and space
- supersymmetric theories in four dimensions: superpotential and Kähler potential
- non-renormalization theorems
- overview on supergravity, introduction of supergravity as local supersymmetry
- supersymmetry-breaking using F- und D-terms
- the MSSM: particle spectrum, symmetries and interactions
- extra dimensions and Kaluza-Klein compactification
- spinors and supersymmetry in extra dimensions
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- understand recent literaure on supersymmetric theories.
- follow talks on supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model.
- learn extended theories, like "Grand Unified Theories" in extra dimensions and string theory.
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||4||Supersymmetry and Extra Dimensions||Vaudrevange, P.||
Wed, 14:00–16:00, PH 2271
Mon, 10:00–12:00, PH 2271
and singular or moved dates
Learning and Teaching Methods
The mathematical and theoretical foundations are introduced carefully and well motivated. Several examples and explicit calculations are used to deepen the insight and to illustrate the content. The main concepts are repeated at the beginning of each lecture and discussed with the students. Thus the students are able to explain and apply the learned physics knowledge independently.
- black board
- repetitions at the beginning of each lecture using beamer-presentations
"Cambridge Lectures on Supersymmetry and Extra Dimensions"
by Fernando Quevedo, Sven Krippendorf, Oliver Schlotterer
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- How does a chiral superfield transform under a supersymmetry transformation?
- How does one write down a supersymmetric Lagrangian?
- How does the scalar potential look like when supersymmetry is broken spontaneously?
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Supersymmetry and Extra Dimensions|
|Thu, 2019-10-24||till 2019-10-16|