Module version of SS 2021 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2021||SS 2019||SS 2017|
PH2250 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specialization Modules in Elite-Master Program Theoretical and Mathematical Physics (TMP)
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||45 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2250 is Martin Beneke.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This lecture introduces supersymmetric theories in four dimensions. The basis of this course lies in the understanding of the supersymmetry algebra and its representations, the construction of supersymmetric field theories and their quantum field theoretic properties. The following topics are covered:
- Supersymmetry algebra and multiplets
- Construction of N=1 supersymmetric theories, chiral superfields, superfields und superspace as an extension of fields and space-time, supersymmetry breaking
- Supersymmetric gauge theory, vector super fields
- Quantum corrections and non-renormalization theorems
- The MSSM: particle spectrum, symmetries and interactions
- Non-perturbative phenomea in supersymmetric gauge theories (optional)
After successful completion of the module the students are able to:
- acquire a comprehensive understanding of the concept of supersymmetry in quantum field theory
- understand recent literaure on supersymmetric theories.
- follow talks on supersymmetric extensions of the Standard Model.
No formal requirements in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics. However, knowledge of quantum flield theory at the level of the QFT course in the winter term is essential.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Wed, 10:00–12:00, PH HS2
Thu, 12:00–14:00, PH HS2
Learning and Teaching Methods
The mathematical and theoretical foundations are introduced carefully and well motivated. Several examples and explicit calculations are used to deepen the insight and to illustrate the content. The main concepts are repeated at the beginning of each lecture and discussed with the students. Thus the students are able to explain and apply the learned physics knowledge independently.
- black board
See course web page, http://users.ph.tum.de/ga49yar/21ss-susy
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 30 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- How does a chiral superfield transform under a supersymmetry transformation?
- How does one write down a supersymmetric Lagrangian?
- How does the scalar potential look like when supersymmetry is broken spontaneously?
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Supersymmetry|
|Tue, 2021-09-28||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 28.09.2021 und Sa, 23.10.2021. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2021-09-28 and Sat, 2021-10-23. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2021-09-27|