Vacuum, Surfaces and Thin Films
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2017
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2015|
PH2223 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2223 in the version of SS 2017 was Wolfgang Kreuzpaintner.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Vacuumphysics and -technology: kinetic gas theory, gas transport, vacuum pumps, measuring vacuum pressures, vacuum systems
- Surfaces: ideal surfaces, atomic surface structures, reconstrutced surfaces, surface excitations
- Surface analytics: crystal symmetries of surfaces, short range order, surface structures, chemical composition of surfaces, determination of thickness of thin films.
- Thin film preparation: theory and models of thin film growth, methods of thin film growth
After participating in this modul, the students will have acquired knowledge on
- design and construction of vacuum systems, their technology and applications
- physical effects occurring on surfaces of a bulk material and on interfaces between two or more thin film structures and will be able to chose the right technique to analyse them
- the available techniques for preparation of surfaces and thin film structures
No special previous knowledge or qualification other than the general qualification for Masters level studies are required.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Vacuum, Surfaces and Thin Films||Kreuzpaintner, W.||
Wed, 16:00–18:00, PH HS3
|UE||2||Exercise to Vacuum, Surfaces and Thin Films||Kreuzpaintner, W.|
Learning and Teaching Methods
Vorlesung: (aufgeweichter) Frontalunterricht
Übung: Arbeitsunterricht (Übungsaufgaben rechnen), Diskussionen und weitergehende Erläuterungen zum Vorlesungsstoff
Tafelanschrieb bzw. Präsentation
Übungsaufgaben (Fallbeispiele) und Lösungen zum Download
K. L. Chopra "Thin Film Phenomena" Mcgraw-Hill
A. Zangwill "Physics at Surfaces", Cambridge Univ. Press
Description of exams and course work
In a written exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as an oral exam. In this case the time duration is 25 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.