Applied Quantum Mechanics
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH2205 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- General catalogue of special courses
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||40 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2205 is Friedemann Reinhard.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module is an introduction into the numerous applications of quantum mechanics that have emerged in recent years. After introducing the language of quantum information processing it will cover various applications such as
- atomic clocks and GPS
- superconducting SQUID magnetic field sensors for sensing of currents in the brain
- protocols of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and their application in biochemistry
- NV centers in diamond and their potential use for imaging of the magnetic fields of single molecules, hard disk write heads and neuronal currents.
- decoherence of quantum systems; what it is, how it arises and how it can be mitigated in applications.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Applied Quantum Mechanics||Reinhard, F.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
In a written exam of 60 minutes the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as an oral exam. In this case the time duration is 25 minutes.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Prüfung zu Angewandte Quantenmechanik|
|Fr, 14.10.2016, 10:30 bis 11:30||Physik I: 2503
||bis 30.9.2016 (Abmeldung bis 7.10.2016)|