Module version of SS 2015
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2015|
PH2196 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2196 in the version of SS 2015 was Sibylle Günter.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
The module gives an introduction into fusion research. Starting from general information on the energy problem, basic processes and key parameters of nuclear fusion will be discussed. Different concepts of magnetic confinement of fusion plasmas will be introduced, such as magnetic mirrors, tokamaks, and stellarators. Their properties will be studied with respect to stability, confinement quality and transport. The most important heating methods and diagnostics of fusion plasmas will be introduced and existing devices and the main experimental results achieved will be presented.
After successful completion of this module the student is able to
- explain the basic fusions processes and the required parameters to obtained a self-sustained burning fusion plasma
- describe the main technical elements needed to construct a tokamak or a stellarator experiment as well as to describe the individual advantages and disadvantages of these concepts
- name and classify the most frequently observed instabilities of fusion plasmas
- describe heating methods and diagnostics of fusion plasmas
- discuss the processes leading to transport of heat and particles in plasmas confined in toroidal magnetic fields,
- present the technical composition and the scientific objectives of the international fusions experiment Iter.
Lectures up to the Bachelor level
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Assistants: Lauber, P.
Thu, 08:30–10:00, PH HS2
|UE||2||Exercise to Fusion Research||
Responsible/Coordination: Günter, S.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Lecture with ppt presentation, movies and black board, in parallel seminars and group work to discuss the issues brought up in the lecture
Exercises, internet pages, additional literature
- U. Stroth, Plasmaphysik, Phänomene, Grundlagen, Anwendungen, VIEWEG+TEUBNER Press, New York", Wiesbaden 2011
- M. Kaufmann, Plasmaphysik und Fusionsforschung. Eine Einführung, Teubner, 2003
- J. Wesson, Tokamaks, Clarendon Press, Oxford 2011
- R.J. Goldston, P.H. Rutherford, "Plasmaphysik. Eine Einführung", Vieweg 1998, ISBN: 3-528-06884-1,
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam in Fusion Research|
|Mon, 2023-07-17 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor 16.09.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before 2023-Sep-16.||till 2023-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2023-07-16)|