Ultrafast Physics 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH2159 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- General catalogue of special courses
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||40 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2159 is Reinhard Kienberger.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
Sources and methods of ultrafast physics will be introduced:
- ultrashort pulse lasers in the visible, UV and IR
- amplification, manipulation and full characterization of ultrashort light pulses
- generation of high-order harmonics in the XUV and attosecond pulses
- synchrotrons and FELs
- ultrafast spectroskopie, pump/probe methods, attosecond techniques
applications of ultrafast physics will be discussed
- electron dynamics in gases, molecules, solids and layered surface systems
- ultrafast dynamics in water, molecular systems and dyes
After successful participation in the module the students know sources of ultrafast physics, understand methods of ultrafast physics and know fields of applications in ultrafast physics.
No special requirements other than enrollment in masters course.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Ultrakurzzeitphysik 2||Iglev, H. Kienberger, R.||
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester.