This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of WS 2016/7
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||WS 2016/7||SS 2011|
PH2114 is a semester module in German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||40 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2114 in the version of WS 2016/7 was Roland Diehl.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This course provides a survey of observational methods towards the universe and its objects. Telescopes, experiments, and their methods are discussed per messenger type, and application towards their characteristic astrophysical studies is discussed. In particular, we address:
- astrophysics quests and cosmic messengers
- cosmic matter and its observables
- radiation processes
- instruments, telescopes, experiments: from radio to gamma rays, neutrinos, cosmic rays, meteorites, gravitational waves
- stars: formation, evolution, explosions and compact remnants
- compact objects: accretion, magnetars, bursts, mergers
- interstellar medium: cold gas and dust, hot and relativistic plasma, cosmic rays
- galaxies of different types, with their characteristic objects and sources
- literature and databases on the astronomical window/discipline and projects
After passing of the module, students are able to
- associate physical processes in cosmic objects to their specific observational method(s)
- understand the design and the critical components of telescopes, from radio through IR and optical to x- and gamma radiation, as well as the instruments for cosmic dust, cosmic rays, gravitational waves, and neutrinos
- describe the evolution of normal and exotic stars, from formation through different phases until their remnants
- explain the physics of different, sometimes violent, energy release processes in cosmic objects
- assess the observability gaps in view of standard theories describing the universe
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Observational Astrophysics||Diehl, R. Greiner, J. Leibundgut, B.||
Fri, 10:00–12:00, PH II 227
Learning and Teaching Methods
Presentation (slides), board teaching, short contributions from students
Longair: High-Energy Astrophysics, Cambr. Univ. Press
Description of exams and course work
In a written exam of 60 minutes the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as an oral exam. In this case the time duration is 25 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam in Observational Astrophysics|
|Mon, 2019-07-22||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor So, 22.09.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sun, 2019-09-22.||till 2019-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2019-07-21)|
|Tue, 2019-09-24||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin von Mo, 23.09.2019 bis Sa, 19.10.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date from Mon, 23.09.2019 till Sat, 19.10.2019.||till 2019-09-23|