FPGA based detector signal processing
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2011
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|WS 2019/20||SS 2019||WS 2018/9||SS 2018||WS 2017/8||WS 2015/6||SS 2011|
PH2101 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered every semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2101 in the version of SS 2011 was Stephan Paul.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Introduction to the FPGA design process (modeling, simulation, synthesis, Xilinx design tools)
- Introduction to the VHDL hardware description language (modularity, concurrent/sequential statements, synchronous/asynchronous logic)
- Electronic design with VHDL and FPGAs (pipelined data processing, data flow control, counters, state machines)
- Signal processing basics (signal sampling, FFT, digital filters)
- Detector readout concepts (analog pipeline ASICs, sampling ADCs)
- Debug and measurement equipment (oscilloscope, logic analyzer)
- Design of a data acquisition system based on Xilinx FPGAs for a particle detector. (frontend ASIC configuration and readout, signal baseline correction, trigger decision, amplitude detection, ...)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||FPGA Based Detector Signal Processing||
Assistants: Huber, S.
Thu, 14:00–16:00, PH 3268
|UE||2||Exercise to FPGA Based Detector Signal Processing||
Responsible/Coordination: Paul, S.
Thu, 16:00–18:00, PH 3268
Learning and Teaching Methods
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam in FPGA based detector signal processing|
|Mon, 2020-02-03||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Mo, 23.03.2020. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Mon, 2020-03-23.||till 2020-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2020-02-02)|
|Tue, 2020-03-24||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 24.03.2020 und Sa, 18.04.2020. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2020-03-24 and Sat, 2020-04-18.||till 2020-03-23|