Astro Particle Physics 2
Module version of SS 2017
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2017||SS 2016||SS 2011|
PH2074 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2074 in the version of SS 2017 was Susanne Mertens.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
I. The search for Dark Matter
- Axion search experiments
- Direct- and indirect detection of WIMPs
- Experiments for drect search of WIMPs
- Experiments for indirect search of WIMPs
- Experimental Discoveries
- Most important neutrino properties
- Neutrino sources
- Experiments to study neutrino properties
- Neutrinos in astrophysics und cosmology
III. Cosmic Radiation
- Primary cosmic rays
- Experiments for detection of cosmic rays
- Gamma –Astronomy
- Ultra high energetic (UHE) - cosmic ray particles
IV. Gravitational waves
The student will understand the intimate connection between particle physics and cosmology.
Basic concepts of experimantal approaches to rare event searches will be worked out.
Nuclear- and particle physics
Astroparticlephysics I is helpful
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Astro-Particle Physics 2||Pollmann, T.||
Wed, 08:00–10:00, PH HS3
|UE||2||Exercise to Astro-Particle Physics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Pollmann, T.
|dates in groups||
Learning and Teaching Methods
It is recommended to repeat the lecture material after the lecture
Particiapation in excercises is recommended in order to strengthen understanding of details.
Some diagrams and pictures willl be projecetd.
It is planned that lecture notes will be available
- L. Bergström, A. Goobar: Cosmology and Particle Astrophysics (Springer)
- C. Grupen: Astroteilchenphysik (Vieweg)
- H. Klapdor-Kleingrothaus, K. Zuber: Teilchenastrophysik (Teubner Studienbücher), 1997
- D. Perkins: Particle Astrophysics (Oxford University Press)
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.