High Angular Resolution Astronomy (Telescopes, Adaptive Optics, Interferometry, and more)
Module version of SS 2017
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||WS 2010/1|
PH2059 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||40 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2059 in the version of SS 2017 was Frank Eisenhauer.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Optics concepts
- Atmospheric turbulence
- Speckle interferometry and coronography
- Adaptive optics I: wavefront sensing, deformable mirrors
- Adaptive optics II: dynamical control, laser guide stars
- Interference and coherence, intensity interferometry
- Optical interferometry I: techniques, components
- Optical interferometry II: aperture synthesis, astrometry
- Data analysis and image restoration
After participation to the module the student has an overview over the state-of-the-art in high angular resolution astronomy, is able to work with original literature, and is optimally prepared for a master- or PhD project. The lecture also supplements well an ongoing Master- or PhD project in a related research area.
No prerequisites that are not already included in the prerequisites for the Master’s programmes.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||High Angular Resolution Astronomy||Eisenhauer, F.||
Tue, 12:00–14:00, PH II 227
Learning and Teaching Methods
Oral presentation, discussion
- Observational astrophysics: Léna, Lebrun & Mignard, 2nd revised an enlarged edition, Springer, Berlin 1998
- Adaptive Optics for Astronomical Telescopes: Hardy, Oxford University Press, USA, 1998
- An Introduction to Optical Stellar Interferometry: Labeyrie, Lipson & Nisenson , Cambridge University Press, 2006
- Principles of Optics: Born & Wolf, Cambridge University Press, 7 edition 1999
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using Knowledge and comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- What is "Seeing", which parameters are used to describe its properties, outline the Kolmogorov model for turbulence
- Describe the working principle of adaptive optics and its components, give a description in the framework of control theory
- Outline the principles of stellar interferometry and its main components, how are the measurables related to the intensity distribution of the object
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to High Angular Resolution Astronomy|
|Mon, 2023-07-17 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor 16.09.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before 2023-Sep-16.||till 2023-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2023-07-16)|
|Mon, 2023-09-18 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen 18.09.2023 und 21.10.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between 2023-Sep-18 and 2023-Oct-21.||till 2023-09-17|