Introduction to Astro Physics
Module version of WS 2022/3 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|WS 2022/3||WS 2021/2||WS 2020/1||WS 2019/20||WS 2018/9||WS 2010/1|
PH2058 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||30 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2058 is Frank Eisenhauer.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Radiation and matter
- telescopes and satellite experiments
- stars: Global properties, spectra, structure
- stellar evolution and final stages of stars
- interstellar medium
- cosmic distance
- Galaxies: Overview
- black holes, active galaxies
- spiral galaxies, elliptical galaxies, dwarf galaxies
- clusters of galaxies and dark matter
- cosmology, Large scale structure formation
After successful completion of this module, the student is able to
- survey the current state of astrophysics and its methods
- understand the origin, the evolution and the final stages of stars and to describe their inner structure
- understand the different species of galaxies and to sketch their characteristics and evolution
- describe black holes
- sketch the basics of cosmology
No prerequisites that are not already included in the prerequisites for the Master’s programmes.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Introduction to astrophysics||Eisenhauer, F.||
Tue, 14:00–16:00, MPE 1.1.18b
Learning and Teaching Methods
The lecture gives an overview of modern astrophysics. The focus is on observations, their scientific interpretation, and the fundamental physics concepts behind, but with little theoretical detail, which can be found e.g. in the module PH2080. The topics of the lecture will be presented in thematically structured lectures. Some international experts are invited. To deepen the understanding, the students have to work through individual chapters of textbooks and original literature, which will then be discussed together in the lecture. As a result, the proportion of self-study in this module is high.
PowerPoint. The slides are made available for download in PDF and PowerPoint format (http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~eisenhau/EinfuehrungInDieAstrophysik_WS2223.html, login und password will be given in the lecture).
A. Unsöld, B. Baschek: "The new cosmos", Springer, ISBN 3-540-67877-8
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 25 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and sample calculations.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Derive the stellar mass-luminosity relation from the basic equations of stellar sturcture.
- What are black holes and how to observe them?
- How can one measure the distance to nearby galaxies, e.g. the Andromeda galaxie?
- What does the cosmic microwavebackground tell about the universe's global properties?
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Introduction to Astro Physics|
|Mon, 2024-02-05 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor 23.03.2024. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before 2024-Mar-23.||till 2024-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2024-02-04)|
|Mon, 2024-03-25 till 23:55||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen 25.03.2024 und 20.04.2024. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between 2024-Mar-25 and 2024-Apr-20.||till 2024-03-24|