Physics with Neutrons 2 (Applications)
Module version of SS 2016
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2016||WS 2010/1|
PH2054 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2054 in the version of SS 2016 was Sebastian Mühlbauer.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Magnetic Neutron Scattering: Structure Determination
- Magnetic Neutron Scattering: Magnons
- Polarized Neutrons: Magnetism
- Small Angle Neutron Scattering, Diffuse Scattering: Alloys, Superconductivity
- Reflectometry, Neutronoptics: Heterostructures, Supermirrors
After participation in the module the student is able to:
- understand magnetic scattering cross sections
- interpret elastic magnetic neutron scattering data
- measure and interpret dispersion curves from ferro- and antiferromagnetic magnons
- evaluate crystal electric fields
- interpret SANS-data from flux line lattices
- understand basics of polarization analysis
- Bachelor degree in physics
- suggested: course in solid state physics
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Physics with neutrons 2||
Assistants: Busch, S.
Wed, 12:00–14:00, PH-Cont. C.3203
|UE||2||Exercise Physics with Neutrons 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Petry, W.
|dates in groups|
Learning and Teaching Methods
The learning outcomes of the module will be achieved via frontal lecture, written and verbal lecturing and powerpoint presentations. The lecture will be complemented by a weekly exercise class, where students will solve problems under supervision of a tutor.
- A. Furrer, J. Mesot, T. Strässle: Neutron Scattering in Condensed Matter Physics, World Scientific, London (2009) .
- G. L. Squires: Introduction to the Theory of Thermal Neutron Scattering, Dover Publications, N. Y. (1966).
- S. W. Lovesey, Theory of Neutron Scattering from Condensed Matter I, II, Oxford Science Publ., Oxford (1984).
- A. Furrer: Frontiers in Neutron Scattering, World Scientific, London (1999).
- G. E. Bacon: Neutron Diffraction, Oxford (1962).
- P. A. Egelstaff: Thermal Neutron Scattering, Acad. Press, London (1965).
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Physics with Neutrons 2|
|Tue, 2020-03-24||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 24.03.2020 und Sa, 18.04.2020. Die Lehrveranstaltungen des Moduls fanden im SS 2019 statt. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2020-03-24 and Sat, 2020-04-18. The courses of this module where offered in SS 2019.||till 2020-03-23|