Nanostructured Soft Materials 2
Module version of SS 2020 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH2049 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2049 is Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module gives an introduction into Nanostructured Soft Materials with emphasis on optical and electrical properties:
- photonic crystals: self assembly processes, optical properties, 3D ordered macroporous materials and applications
- transparent contacts: percolation threshold with nanoparticle based systems, conductive polymers, application in devices
- conductive elastomers: structuring of dry adhesives with conductive fillers
- metal-polymer composites: top down and bottom up nanofabrications, metal nanoparticle self assemblies
- organic photovoltaics: principal built-up of organic solar cell, steps in energy conversion, characterization of solar cells, morphology of active layers
- nanostructured soft matter in recent developments of devices for energy conversion and storage: lithium ion batteries, super capacitors and thermoelectrics
After participation in the module the students are able to:
- evaluate different areas of application of photonic crystals
- understand the design of transparent contacts concerning transmission and sheet resistance
- apply the bio-inspired materials approach for new-developed nanostructured soft materials
- analyze the different types of polymer-metal composites including metal nanoparticles in polymer matrix
- evaluate different approaches in organic photovoltaics
- understand the role of nanostructured soft materials for devices in the field of energy conversion and energy storage
No preconditions in addition to the requirements for the Master’s program in Physics.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Nanostructured Soft Materials – advanced topics||
Assistants: Metwalli Ali, E.
singular or moved dates
and dates in groups
Learning and Teaching Methods
This module consists of a lecture and exercise classes. The contents of the lectures will be given by presentation with the beamer and discussion with board work. The exercise class will consist of group work where the students solve problems under the guidance of a tutor. Consultation hours are an optional additional offer for clarification of further questions on the lecture contents in individual talks with the lecturer.
Presentation, blackboard. Exercises will be made available one week before each class via accompanying internet site.
- I.W. Hamley: Introduction to Soft Matter, Wiley, (2000)
- R.A.L. Jones: Soft Condensed Matter, Oxford University Press, (2002)
- M. Kleman & O.D. Lavrentovich: Soft Matter Physics, Springer, (2003)
- M. Daoud & C.E. Williams: Soft Matter Physics, Springer, (1999)
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 30 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and examples.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Describe the basic set-up of an organic solar cell.
- Explain the morphology of the active layer with its donor and acceptor components using words, drawings and diagrams
- Describe how the performance of a transparent contact can be characterized
- How can transparent contacts be achieved for mechanically flexible substrates?
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam in Nanostructured Soft Materials 2|
|Sun, 2020-07-19||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Sa, 19.09.2020. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sat, 2020-09-19. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2020-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2020-07-18)|
|Mon, 2020-09-21||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Mo, 21.09.2020 und Sa, 17.10.2020. Melden Sie sich bitte nur an, wenn Sie die Prüfung verbindlich auch nach Lektüre der Informationen unter https://www.tum.de/die-tum/aktuelles/coronavirus/pruefungen/ ablegen werden. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Mon, 2020-09-21 and Sat, 2020-10-17. See https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-exams/ for further information and only register after reading!||till 2020-09-20|