Polymer Physics 2
Module version of SS 2017
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
Whether the module’s courses are offered during a specific semester is listed in the section Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature below.
|available module versions|
|SS 2022||SS 2021||SS 2020||SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH2047 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2047 in the version of SS 2017 was Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module deals with advanced areas of polymer physics:
- thermal properties of polymer melts: from the liquid to the glass transition
- polymer surfaces and thin polymer films: thermodynamic analysis and methods for the characterization of interfaces between polymers
- phase behavior of block copolymers in the melt: thermodynamic analysis, phase diagrams, morphologies, modern applications
- Polyelectrolytes in aqueous solution: chain conformation as a function of charge density and salinity, anti-ion condensation
- special forms of polymers, such as crystalline polymers (the crystallization mechanisms, forms of appearance, methods for the characterization) or biopolymers (organic thin films, Lipid Bilayers, vesicle, organic membrane)
After passing the module students are able to
- evaluate the thermal properties of polymer melts
- understand the physics of polymer surfaces
- estimate forms of appearance of thin polymer films
- analyze the phase behavior of block copolymers in the melt
- analyze chain conformations of polyelectrolytes in aqueous solution to
- understand special forms such as crystalline polymers and biopolymers
polymer physics part 1
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Polymer Physics 2||Müller-Buschbaum, P.||
Tue, 10:00–12:00, PH II 227
|UE||2||Exercise to Polymer Physics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Müller-Buschbaum, P.
|dates in groups||
|RE||2||Lecturer's Consulting Hour to Polymer Physics 2||Müller-Buschbaum, P.||
Tue, 17:00–18:30, PH 3278
Learning and Teaching Methods
oral prsentation, beamer presentation, work at blackboard, excercises
G. Strobl: The Physics of Polymers. Concepts for Understanding their Structures and Behavior: Concepts for Understanding Their Structures and Behavior; Springer, Berlin; Auflage: 3rd rev. and exp. ed. (Februar 2007) U. W. Gedde: Polymer Physics; Springer-Verlag GmbH; Auflage: 1 (September 2007) 33. IFF_Ferienkurs 2002: Soft Matter - Complex Materials on Mesoscopic Scales; Forschungszentrum Jülich (2002), ISBN 3-89336-297-5 Polymer Surfaces, Interfaces and Thin Films; editiert von Alamgir Karim, Sanat Kumar, Sanat Kumar, World Scientific Pub Co, (2000) ISBN 9810238649 W. Hamley: The Physics of Block Copolymers (Oxford Science Publications), Oxford University Press, (1999) ISBN 0198502184
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Polymer Physics 2|
|Wed, 2023-10-04 till 23:59||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen 18.09.2023 und 21.10.2023. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between 2023-Sep-18 and 2023-Oct-21.||till 2023-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2023-09-27)|