Polymer Physics 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2019 (current)
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2011|
PH2047 is a semester module in English or German language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||60 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2047 is Christine Papadakis.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module deals with advanced areas of polymer physics:
- thermal properties of polymer melts: from the liquid to the glass transition
- polymer surfaces and thin polymer films: thermodynamic analysis and methods for the characterization of interfaces between polymers
- phase behavior of block copolymers in the melt: thermodynamic analysis, phase diagrams, morphologies, modern applications
- Polyelectrolytes in aqueous solution: chain conformation as a function of charge density and salinity, anti-ion condensation
- special forms of polymers, such as crystalline polymers (the crystallization mechanisms, forms of appearance, methods for the characterization) or biopolymers (organic thin films, Lipid Bilayers, vesicle, organic membrane)
After passing the module students are able to
- evaluate the thermal properties of polymer melts
- understand the physics of polymer surfaces
- estimate forms of appearance of thin polymer films
- analyze the phase behavior of block copolymers in the melt
- analyze chain conformations of polyelectrolytes in aqueous solution to
- understand special forms such as crystalline polymers and biopolymers
polymer physics part 1 (PH2046)
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Polymer Physics 2||Papadakis, C.||
Tue, 10:00–12:00, PH II 227
|UE||2||Exercise to Polymer Physics 2||
Pathirassery Meledam, G.
Responsible/Coordination: Papadakis, C.
|dates in groups|
|KO||2||Lecturer's Consulting Hour to Polymer Physics 2||Papadakis, C.||
Tue, 14:30–16:00, PH 3283
Learning and Teaching Methods
This module consists of a lecture and an exercise class.
In the thematically structured lecture, the theoretical basics are presented in form of an oral talk and the corresponding experimental techniques are outlined using descriptive examples. For this, macroscopic demonstration samples (elastomers, partly crystalline polymers, super absorbers) are used to elucidate the effects described in the lecture. There is a high emphasis on interactive discussions with and among the students on what has been learned. Therefore, control questions on the treated topic are given for each single lecture and the solutions are discussed in the beginning of the following lecture.
In the exercises (tutor classes), the content of the lecture is further deepened and exercised using exemplary problems, state-of-the-art analysis software and recent publications. After participation, the students are able to explain and apply the contents autonomously.
Consultation hours are an optional additional offer for clarification of further questions on the lecture contents in individual talks with the lecturer.
Oral talk, beamer presentation, excercise sheets
- G. Strobl: The Physics of Polymers. Concepts for Understanding their Structures and Behavior: Concepts for Understanding Their Structures and Behavior; Springer, Berlin; Auflage: 3rd rev. and exp. ed. (Februar 2007)
- U. W. Gedde: Polymer Physics; Springer-Verlag GmbH; Auflage: 1 (September 2007)
- J.M.G. Cowie: Polymers: Chemistry & Physics of Modern Materials, CRC 1991.
Description of exams and course work
There will be an oral exam of 30 minutes duration. Therein the achievement of the competencies given in section learning outcome is tested exemplarily at least to the given cognition level using comprehension questions and examples.
For example an assignment in the exam might be:
- Explain which mechanisms lead to dewetting of polymer films and how the corresponding potentials look like.
- Explain the phase diagram of diblock copolymers.
- Describe the chain conformation of strong and weak polyelectrolytes in dependence on salt concentration
- Describe the crystalline arrangements of polymers on different length scales.
- Which methods can be used to investigate the crystalline structures of polymers.
In the exam no learning aids are permitted.
Participation in the exercise classes is strongly recommended since the exercises prepare for the problems of the exam and rehearse the specific competencies.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Prüfung zu Polymerphysik 2|
|Mo, 22.7.2019||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor So, 22.09.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sun, 2019-09-22.||bis 30.6.2019 (Abmeldung bis 21.7.2019)|
|Di, 24.9.2019||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin von Mo, 23.09.2019 bis Sa, 19.10.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date from Mon, 23.09.2019 till Sat, 19.10.2019.||bis 23.9.2019|