Plasma Physics 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2014
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||SS 2014||SS 2011|
PH2036 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2036 in the version of SS 2014 was Ulrich Stroth.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
This module gives an introduction into plasma physics with numerous examples of natural phenomena and technical applications. In part 2 electrostatic and electro –magnetic waves in plasmas will be studied in detail. Their multiple different applications in plasma diagnostics and heating will be described and non-linear effects such as shock fronts and solitons are introduced. Following an introduction into the basics of kinetic theory the fluid equations will be derived and further applications of kinetic theory will be discussed. This includes transport processes, the concept of collision times and the evolution of ambipolar electric fields.
After successful completion of this module the student is able to
- explain the propagation of electromagnetic waves in plasmas as well as their main applications in plasma heating and diagnostics
- describe the influence of non-linarities on the dynamics of waves
- Illustrate the collision processes of charges particles in plasmas and understand the main parameter dependencies of collision times,
- explain the different theoretical approaches to plasma physics and define the regimes for the validity of their application,
- describe the concept of ambipolar electric fields and ambipolar transport.
Lectures up to the Bachelor level
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Plasma Physics 2||Stroth, U.||
Thu, 10:00–12:00, PH HS2
|UE||2||Exercise to Plasma Physics 2||
Responsible/Coordination: Stroth, U.
|dates in groups|
Learning and Teaching Methods
Vortrag, Beamerpräsentation, Tafelarbeit, Übungen in Einzel- und Gruppenarbeit, Diskussion, Lehrfilme
Exercises, internet pages, additional literature
- U. Stroth, Plasmaphysik, Phänomene, Grundlagen, Anwendungen, VIEWEG+TEUBNER Press, New York", Wiesbaden 2011
- R.J. Goldston, P.H. Rutherford, "Plasmaphysik. Eine Einführung", Vieweg 1998, ISBN: 3-528-06884-1,
- T.J.M. Boyd and J.J. Sanderson, "The Physics of Plasmas", Cambridge University Press 2003, ISBN: 0 521 459125,
- F.F. Chen, "Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion", Plenum Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-306-41332-9,
- T.H. Stix, "Waves in Plasmas", AIP, 1992, ISBN: 0-88318-859-7
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Plasma Physics 2|
|Tue, 2019-08-06||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor So, 22.09.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Sun, 2019-09-22.||till 2019-06-30 (cancelation of registration till 2019-07-30)|
|Tue, 2019-10-01||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin von Mo, 23.09.2019 bis Sa, 19.10.2019. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date from Mon, 23.09.2019 till Sat, 19.10.2019.||till 2019-09-24|