Theoretical Biophysics 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH2018 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||40 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2018 is Martin Zacharias.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of association
- Statistical mechanics of binding reactions
- Driving forces for association Protein-DNA and Protein-RNA interaction
- Prediction of binding
- Multiple interactions
- Allosteric interactions
- Diffusion and transport processes
- Biological membranes
- Active and passive transport
- Interaction networks, topology and dynamics
- Metabolic and regulatory networks
- Signal transduction
After participation in the Module the student is able to understand and apply the statistical and thermodynamic concepts of binding and association processes of biomolecules. The student will have an understanding of theoretical models to describe allosteric effects and transport processes coupled to binding events. Furthermore the student obtains an overview on the theoretical concepts to describe the network character of metabolic and regulatory processes in biophysics.
Theoretische Biophysik I
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
Learning and Teaching Methods
lecture, exercises in individual and group work, discussion
- Jacob Israelachvelli, Intermolecular and surface forces, Academic Press
- Aurel Popescu, Valerica Raicu, Integrated Molecular and Cellular Biophysics, Springer Press
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.