Theoretical Biophysics 1
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
PH2017 is a semester module in German or English language at Master’s level which is offered in winter semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- General catalogue of special courses
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||75 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2017 is Martin Zacharias.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Structure and function of biomolecules
- Conformation and conformational dynamics
- Macromolecular chain models
- Folding and unfolding of biomolecules
- Inter- and intramolecular interactions
- Solvation of biomolecules
- Electrostatic interactions
- Protonation of biomolecules
- Hydrophobic effect
- Thermodynamics of structural transitions and folding
- Energy landscape models of folding
- Simulation of structure formation
- Coarse-graining of biomolecules
- Mechanism and specificity of enzyme reactions
- Transition states
- Enzyme kinetics
- Coupled reactions
After participation in the Module the student will have a fundamental understanding of the various inter- and intramolecular forces that drive structure formation of biomolecules. The student understands the theoretical concepts to describe conformational states of biomolecules and conformational transitions. The student is able to apply theoretical concepts to analyse the thermodynamics and energetics of biomolecular structures
Keine Vorkenntnisse nötig, die über die Zulassungsvoraussetzungen zum Masterstudium hinausgehen.
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VU||4||Theoretische Biophysik 1||Zacharias, M.||
einzelne oder verschobene Termine
sowie Termine in Gruppen
Learning and Teaching Methods
lecture, beamer presentation, board work, exercises in individual and group work
- Michel Daune, Molekulare Biophysik, Vieweg Verlag
- Jacob Israelachvelli, Intermolecular and surface forces, Academic Press
Description of exams and course work
In an oral exam the learning outcome is tested using comprehension questions and sample problems.
In accordance with §12 (8) APSO the exam can be done as a written test. In this case the time duration is 60 minutes.
Remarks on associated module exams
The exam for this module can be taken together with the exam to the associated follow-up module PH2018: Theoretical Biophysics 2 / Theoretische Biophysik 2 after the follwoing semester. In this case you need to register for both exams in the following semester.
There is a possibility to take the exam at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.