Physical Biology of the Cell 2
This module handbook serves to describe contents, learning outcome, methods and examination type as well as linking to current dates for courses and module examination in the respective sections.
Module version of SS 2018
There are historic module descriptions of this module. A module description is valid until replaced by a newer one.
|available module versions|
|SS 2019||SS 2018||SS 2017||WS 2015/6||SS 2011|
PH2014 is a semester module in English language at Master’s level which is offered in summer semester.
This Module is included in the following catalogues within the study programs in physics.
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Biophysics
- Specific catalogue of special courses for Applied and Engineering Physics
- Focus Area Bio-Sensors in M.Sc. Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics
- Elective Modules Natural Sciences in the Master Program Matter to Life
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for condensed matter physics
- Complementary catalogue of special courses for nuclear, particle, and astrophysics
If not stated otherwise for export to a non-physics program the student workload is given in the following table.
|Total workload||Contact hours||Credits (ECTS)|
|150 h||30 h||5 CP|
Responsible coordinator of the module PH2014 in the version of SS 2018 was Karl Duderstadt.
Content, Learning Outcome and Preconditions
- Biological Optical Microscopy
imaging errors, resolution, biological lens systems, camera systems, energy conversion in the eye
- Fluorescence microscopy
- Modern methods: FRET, FCS, FRAP, STED, PALM, FCS
- Physics of hearing
Structure of the ear, impedance conversion, mechano-electrical signal conversion
- Physics of membranes
Hydrophobic effect, interfacial tension
- Viruses, Immunology
Structure of viruses, packaging and dissemination of genetic information, function of the immune system
After successful completion of the module the students are able to
- know modern microscopy methods in biophysics, especially single molecule and fluorescence methods,
- understand the functioning of the ear, in particular the methods that led to the knowledge of the functioning of the ear
- understand biological membranes and hydrophobicity (macroscopic and microscopic)
- understand equilibrium-non-equilibrium thermodynamics
- describe the structure of viruses
- describe the function of the immune system
Courses, Learning and Teaching Methods and Literature
Courses and Schedule
|VO||2||Physical Biology of the Cell 2||Dietz, H.||
Tue, 14:00–16:00, PH II 127
Learning and Teaching Methods
presentation with powerpoint, animations, experiments, reading of publications for the preparation of the class
In the thematically structured lecture the learning content is presented. With cross references between different topics the universal concepts in biophysics are shown. In scientific discussions the students are involved to stimulate their analytic-physics intellectual power. The lecture is based on original publications, which are used to encourage students for more extensive literature search and reading.
presentation, blackboard, publications, Demonstration Experiments
- Alberts, Lehrbuch der Molekularen Zellbiologie
- Sackmann, Biophysik (das Buch soll rechtzeitig zum SS 2010 erscheinen)
- Lakowicz, "Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy"
- Phil Nelson "Biological Physics: Energy, Information, Life"
- Rob Philipps: "Physical Biology"
Description of exams and course work
The exam may be repeated at the end of the semester. There is a possibility to take the exam in the following semester.
Current exam dates
Currently TUMonline lists the following exam dates. In addition to the general information above please refer to the current information given during the course.
|Exam to Physical Biology of the Cell 2|
|Mon, 2020-02-03||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin vor Mo, 23.03.2020. Die Lehrveranstaltungen des Moduls fanden im SS 2019 statt. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date before Mon, 2020-03-23. The courses of this module where offered in SS 2019.||till 2020-01-15 (cancelation of registration till 2020-02-02)|
|Tue, 2020-03-24||Dummy-Termin. Wenden Sie sich zur individuellen Terminvereinbarung an die/den Prüfer(in). Anmeldung für Prüfungstermin zwischen Di, 24.03.2020 und Sa, 18.04.2020. Die Lehrveranstaltungen des Moduls fanden im SS 2019 statt. // Dummy date. Contact examiner for individual appointment. Registration for exam date between Tue, 2020-03-24 and Sat, 2020-04-18. The courses of this module where offered in SS 2019.||till 2020-03-23|